Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've just been looking at Comet Lovejoy, at 4ish quite low, there was wispy cloud but it was very apparent in the 4" 19x like a small globular cluster.  By 5 it was much clearer and i could see it in 10x50s - much easier to view than 41P !  Looking at the comet and M15 they are similar, Lovejoy perhaps not as bright around 7mag.  At 38x it opens up a bit, an irregular hazy whip, it's a nice little comet.

andrew

Another predawn view of Comet Lovejoy today.  No charts or aids needed, just a quick scan with 10x50s along Pegasus and is readily seen - brighter than 7th magnitude.  In the telescope a bright haze at 31x.  Had the orchestration of the dawn chorus to accompany me, a lovely morning and a worthy visiter !

andrew

Had a first look at Comet Lovejoy this morning (5.00 to 5.20 CEST) with my 80/400 frac. Slight haze, NELM about 5.0. With 50x mag, a small (about 4 arc min), slightly NW-SE elongated patch, DC about 5, the false nucleus could be glimpsed. Total mag about 7.2 (compared to HD 215445 nearby). No tail could be seen. A nice little visitor; hoping it will get brighter when approaching the sun.

Stephan

Hi Dave, for the time, that's a pretty good match. By the time it has risen, 3ish london time it will have moved closer to Scheat B Pegasi. Star and comet should be visible in the same binocular field of view and is very clear to view in 10x50s.

andrew

Hi Andrew -

Thank you very much for your verification on the Bisque data. I had updated it as best as I could, and that's where it landed. I did find an earlier location by another source, so I've got a good idea of the directional telemetry of the little fellow - thanks to your input here! :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Archived