SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another process of M51 but less cropped

steviemac500

I had another go and left the image less cropped which i think i prefer. Tried deconvolution for the first time and played around with TVG a bit. Made a bit of a mess of my L flats as i had to move the camera in-between nights. Think i'm making progress!!!!! Please comment and criticise any points. Hope you like it!

http://astrob.in/289273/0/

M51v3.thumb.jpg.338a2c957ecaecfe1626fc4889a7b1c0.jpg

Very nice indeed, great detail and colour! My only very minor criticism is that the stars appear to have some kind of radial distortion (tilt, maybe?) on the left of the frame - other than that, wonderful! :icon_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Very nice indeed, great detail and colour! My only very minor criticism is that the stars appear to have some kind of radial distortion (tilt, maybe?) on the left of the frame - other than that, wonderful! :icon_biggrin:

Rich, you're right. I've cropped most out but I'm having issues with the camera. I'm sure the weight is pulling on the focuser and causing flexure. 

18 minutes ago, steviemac500 said:

Rich, you're right. I've cropped most out but I'm having issues with the camera. I'm sure the weight is pulling on the focuser and causing flexure. 

Still a brilliant image though! :icon_biggrin: Looking at the scale I'm guessing you used the ED80 with the Atik. The stock focuser on the ED80 caused me a similar issue but I managed to get it sorted after a bit of tinkering. If you haven't already seen this, Dion from Astronomyshed has a great how-to vid that can be viewed here - it uses a flat field panel and the evaluation version of CCD Inspector to work out the kinks.

HTH

Rich

edit: forgot to mention that the relevant bit of the vid is at around 14 minutes.

19 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Still a brilliant image though! :icon_biggrin: Looking at the scale I'm guessing you used the ED80 with the Atik. The stock focuser on the ED80 caused me a similar issue but I managed to get it sorted after a bit of tinkering. If you haven't already seen this, Dion from Astronomyshed has a great how-to vid that can be viewed here - it uses a flat field panel and the evaluation version of CCD Inspector to work out the kinks.

HTH

Rich

edit: forgot to mention that the relevant bit of the vid is at around 14 minutes.

Thanks Rich. I'm actually using a Moravian G28300 now so the weight is even more. Looking at a new focuser I think!

Very bright. Stunningly crisp.   Do you have LP?  I think if you lessen your stretch a bit--just a tad, you will lose some of the haze in the background.  TGV denoise will not do this--it will mottle the background at the levels you will need to get rid of the mist.  Mask off the galaxy if you want it to remain as bright as it is, then reduce the histogram in all RGB mode.  But don't move the black point (left hand arrow)--it is dark enough.   

Rodd

Thanks  Rodd, great advice.  I'll give it a try. Rich, interestingly and not surprisingly, when I looked at CCD inspector, my flats centre is quite away off so I'm going to have a play with the focuser this afternoon before I spend silly money on a new one!

21 hours ago, Rodd said:

Very bright. Stunningly crisp.   Do you have LP?  I think if you lessen your stretch a bit--just a tad, you will lose some of the haze in the background.  TGV denoise will not do this--it will mottle the background at the levels you will need to get rid of the mist.  Mask off the galaxy if you want it to remain as bright as it is, then reduce the histogram in all RGB mode.  But don't move the black point (left hand arrow)--it is dark enough.   

Rodd

There you go. I've cropped it a little but i think it looks cool with the smaller fuzzies in the background on the right. Thanks Rodd.

M51v4cropped.jpg

2 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

There you go. I've cropped it a little but i think it looks cool with the smaller fuzzies in the background on the right. Thanks Rodd.

M51v4cropped.jpg

That's as good as it gets

Rodd

Archived