Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video How To - Skywatcher NEQ6 Rowan Astronomy Belt Modification

kbrown

I recently completed a belt modification on my NEQ6 Pro mount and recorded the whole experience on video. Just started putting them on u-tube. Five parts done so far and loads more to come soon. Thought I'd share my experience here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2vPE11voDHGN_-C2IXMffNHMqqYLXKOv

Be sure to subscribe if you want to follow this to get a notification when I've uploaded a new part.

Cheers,
Kari

5 hours ago, redtail said:

Sorry but you really should be using a nylon or rubber hammer.

You are correct. A soft headed mallet would be ideal but the one I had was just not up to the task. Care needs to be taken whatever you use. No excess force is required.

The RA axis bearing preload should be hand tight and not use a wrench.  You only need enough to just take the play out as any force will stall the motors once loaded up with gear.  They always do them up to tight at the factory

7 hours ago, MarkyD said:

The RA axis bearing preload should be hand tight and not use a wrench.  You only need enough to just take the play out as any force will stall the motors once loaded up with gear.  They always do them up to tight at the factory

I did initially over tighten it. It's very easy to do. But I backed it off as can be seen in the video.

I've had a couple of nights with the mount after the mod and it performs better than new now. Very happy with the result. The only remaining problem I still have is the the counterweight shaft that has a play in one direction. Might upgrade that to another kind if I can't find a way to improve the original.

Anyhoo....

Part08 - Removing DEC Axis Gear now available.

9 hours ago, kbrown said:

This would have been a lot easier if I had three tiny hands with six long fingers on each ;)

Put an elastic band around the tweezers so they close and hold on to the belt. You can then lower the motor plates in to position with only 2 fingers required :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived