Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece for deep objects

deepind

Yesterday i viewed jupiter with my celestron astromaster 130eq telescope with 10mm eyepiece..the planet looked very small but could could see clearly but i want to see enlarged ...what eyepiece can i use.. or my telescope capacity is only this much?

20170329_231430-01-01.jpeg

A 5 (130x)  or 6mm (108x) eyepiece should work for Jupiter on average I think.

I have no idea how the seeing conditions is Your Place in India. Jupiter will at least be high in the sky.

With the Heritage 130p (fl650), I`ve had Nights With 180x on Jupiter, lunar, mars and Saturn.

If I were you,  I would go for a 5mm, 130x. The telescope handle it well, and as I said I dont know anything about Your seeing conditions, but assume they

must be better than mine ...

Rune

Hello and welcome to SGL

. With good seeing /atmosphere condition then you should be able to use a 6mm eyepiece. This will increase the magnificent quite significantly and thus will enlarge the planet Jupiter. And with good seeing conditions you should get a detailed image also of Jupiter. 

If you need a eyepiece suggestions, then the BST starguiders are good value for money and certainly a step up from stock eyepieces. Or something like a good second hand Ortho, maybe a Fujiyama or Badder classic Orthoscopic . IMO with planetary target a fov is not so important as you are looking more for details, and thus optics sharpness is more important IMO and Orthoscopic eyepieces really are great bang for buck when it comes to planetary targets

I hope the above helps 

I'm still at the beginner stage myself but have learned quite a bit in the short time I've had my telescope:

• Your scope needs around 30 mins to cool outside before using it
  • Check the collimation of your scope too. Good guide here: http://www.forumskylive.it/Public/data/serastrof/201281510358_Astro Babys Guide to Collimation.pdf
  • Atmospheric conditions and light pollution have a big impact on the performance of your telescope. The same scope and eye piece combination on different nights can give very different results depending on the conditions on the night
  • I've just bought my first new eyepiece, a BST Explorer/Starguider 8mm. It's a big improvement over the 10mm eyepiece that came with my telescope
  • You can also use a Barlow lens to increase magnification though the field of view is reduced

Hope that helps :)

I owned the Powerseeker 127EQ and your image is the reason (one of many reasons actually?) that I upgraded.
After the upgrade and with better eyepieces, the 127 still gave no better result!
Your seeing conditions may not be the best, we have to wait long and often for fleeting moments of crystal clear steady images, but I'm more than happy with my present setup due to the larger aperture.
There are many varied reasons and issues that aspire against us in order to get the best view. Try a few more times with what you have, to see if the conditions better, but eyepieces alone may not help you achieve any more than the scope can produce at the focal point, as it stands.

Some people say that you should be able to achieve a certain magnification per inch of apature of the objective mirror or lens.

Depending on seeing  conditions a magnification of between 40 x to 50x per inch should be achievable. Your apature is 5.2 inches. So say 40 x per inch would be 40 x 5.2 would equal 208 times. This would require a 3mm eyepiece. I personally would not use such a short focal length eyepiece.A 4 or 5  mm eyepiece would give you either 162 x or 130 x respectively. focal length of your telescope is 650mm,so divide 650 by 4 or 5 mm.

Hope this helps. You can use a 2 x Barlow lens.

...similar  theory as Grumpy Martian, but I use the telescopes data plate to get the information for my  useable practical power (magnification) and for me, it equals the size of the  aperture (mm = power) so my 200mm scope provides me 200x power obtained by using an eyepiece that matches the focal ratio (6mm for me) but more often than not, I use 8mm or  longer EP, the shorter focal lengths serve me well only on the Moon. My maximum useable can and does get exceeded when using the 3.2 and 5mm EPs, but my images get better from my observatory as I progress through the longer focal lengths, the downside is the image scale  presented gets smaller. Another reason for a bigger scope / aperture - image scale.

Back to the OP question : If you can see Jupiter clearly, but small at 65x, it seems like youre Scope is cooled ( you are in India so

maybe 'thermally optimized' is a better Word for it) and well collimated. You just want an eyepiece to make Jupiter appear bigger.

I would still recommend a 5mm. People speak highly about BST Starguider (different brandings: Omegon Flatfield ED, Telescope Service ED, paradigm dual ED)

Rune

Thanks all for replies...i saw jupiter clearly throughmy eyes..but this i took by mobile so the image is like this..i used 2x barlow with 10mm eyepiece but the inage was not good..as the 2x barlow is local brand ..so is any good brand available in india..i saw clearly through celestron 10mm...i want 2 c more details of jupiter..

1 hour ago, deepind said:

Thanks all for replies...i saw jupiter clearly throughmy eyes..but this i took by mobile so the image is like this..i used 2x barlow with 10mm eyepiece but the inage was not good..as the 2x barlow is local brand ..so is any good brand available in india..i saw clearly through celestron 10mm...i want 2 c more details of jupiter..

Try taking a video of Jupiter with short exposure times per frame with your phone and see if any of the frames look clearer.  If so, you're dealing with variable seeing.  Defocus Jupiter or a bright star and see if it looks like you're looking through a pot of boiling water.  If so, you may have tube currents or atmospheric turbulence.  Either act to destroy fine detail and contrast.

Archived