SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

30 mins on M13 with DSLR

Tzetze

I got a short amount of time on M13 over the past weekend once the previous target for the night had gone past the meridian.

This is ~30 mins integration with 8x240s subs. I hope to add more subs to it in the near future. I would like to bring out the fainter stars in the periphery of the cluster but not sure whether that requires more subs or longer exposure (or both). Or maybe I'm close to the limits of what can be achieved here with a DSLR. Experimentation is half the fun though. =]

4db595b8cea88d1735ae895424a6c4b1.620x0_q

Technical details at Astrobin.

That is really nice. Sharp stars and a low noise background. Last time I tried to image M13 with my DSLR I got stars the size of coins and a background that looked like an explosion in a glitter factory...

I think if you do longer subs you will be at risk of saturating the brighter stars at the centre of the cluster.

1 hour ago, frugal said:

That is really nice. Sharp stars and a low noise background. Last time I tried to image M13 with my DSLR I got stars the size of coins and a background that looked like an explosion in a glitter factory...

I think if you do longer subs you will be at risk of saturating the brighter stars at the centre of the cluster.

Thanks very much Frugal, very kind of you to say so. My previous attempts at this target have turned out much like you described.

I think you're right about the longer subs. I will experiment with adding more data when I get a chance.

Archived