Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark with refractor or Mak Cass?

Hello! 

So here in Mumbai, we are soon going to end with stargazing season from May to November for ainy season and it's the time when I am banging my head for my next upgrade.

As my previous posts, I conduct outreach sessions as a Freelance educator and I started solar sessions with Lunt50mm SS as well. Although the programme had few problems, the word has gone out so next season will be good. This upgrade will be a jumpstart for my mobile solar observatory too. I am also seeing little competition upcoming so need to work and upgrade properly. Which brings me thinking about my next upgrade as follows :

120mm f/5 short tube refractor + Daystar Quark (chromosphere)+ full disk erf + az4 or eq3 mount (or similar) 

1. I have read many posts which point out at the inconsistency in quality of quark. That's too risky compared to the unavailability of any guidance over here.

2. I don't know whether I can have full disk views using 40mm plossls or so. Although that's not compulsory since I will use the small lunt in the observation session.

3. The gear needs to be kind of portable. I carry around 18 kg weight for my night sky session.

4. Wait time is not that much of problem. Temperature over here does rise up to 42 degree C in summer.

5. I am putting the full disk front erf because I have to sell the idea that we can see the sun through Telescope with proper gear.

6. No clue about how a short tube refractor will work. CA might be an issue in night sky.

7. No clue about how many years the quark will work. If it's not going to work for more than 2-3 years then no use. I will wait for few more years and get a bigger lunt.

I don't intend to buy the gear right now. It will wait for few months till I get the funding and get the proper idea of what am I getting into. Also, we shift our preferences so much that it's better to start the search early.

On second thoughts, since I am putting a full disk erf, I also thought about This one :

127mm mak cass + daystar combo quark (chromosphere).

The reason is that I might end up using this gear for.night sky session and have no clue how would a 120mm f/5 refractor will work. But, a combo quark might not get that greatly used since I don't see myself buying more scts or maks than refractor.

CA is bearable since right now my regular scope is 90 mm f/10 refractor. 

Overall idea is, let's say in extreme case, I get a night and solar session for same group and I need to give a decent performance without carrying more than 2 telescopes which includes my small lunt.

Any thoughts about any of the mentioned scopes and accessories?  Any other recommendations?Also which  telescope brands? I am in good touch with local skywatcher dealer. Can't comment on other dealers. Mostly we have orion,skywatcher,celestron,Meade brands available easily over here.

Also, comments like "you're an idiot!" Are appreciated!!! :D

Thanks for reading that long speech!

P.s. I am kind of stepping into adulthood now so price is an issue. xD

Archived