Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carrying/ holding kit whilst at the scope

Swoop1

I know many people use an accesory tray which most tripods come supplied with and, I would for EP's etc. if it weren'r for the fact that mounting the tray is a bit of a pain in the dark with cold fingers (I have to store my tripod with the legs almost folded due to space restrictions). I wouldn't be too keen however to keep my tablet or laptop on the tray.

I have tasken to using a musette bag, the type of bag a cycle racer gets his/ her mid stage lunch handed to them in. A small, lightweight bag the perfect size for my tablet, glasses case, gloves etc.

Like these- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAPMUSE/apis-musette

Very pracitcal.

Yea, if only we didn't have to star gaze in the dark and cold, it makes things very difficult! ? I'm forever losing things , or have bulging pockets! And never enough hands . One has to learn to be very methodical ! 

I tend to use a patio table that happens to be adjacent to where I usually set the scope up. For more space I can use the dining table which is just about 2 1/2 metres from the patio, via the french doors.

I have tried a few things including the tray which alas I find too small for the eyepieces I own. Now I tend to use a combination of the eyepiece cases so I have them on hand and a photographic vest that I have had for a number of years, oddly never using it for photography. The vest is a high quality one made in Britain as it happens, with large and many pockets all of which I hoover from time to time.

I have an unused camera bag which I just tie around the top of the tripod using the shoulder strap. The main use for this is a place to put the iPad (which controls the scope) when I don't need to hold it. Other bits and pieces also find their way into the bag.

On cold nights an old ski jacket which has a gazillion pockets is a useful addition. The only problem is remembering which item is in which pocket...

IMG_0084.JPG.fda26f606fab412d6e4dbbd6c16f00fa.JPG

Eric.

For grab and go I have a small toolbox for eyepieces etc that goes on the patio table or under the tripod, or use pockets. I thought about getting a fishing vest with lots of pouches and in the end decided the priority for clothes is being warm/ comfortable rather than carrying lots of stuff.

My golden rule is never put anything down unless it is in the box or a pocket, and everything has its own place - when I break this rule things get lost, soaked in dew, trodden on, or covered in slug-goo!

Archived