Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gegenschine. Anyone on SGL seen it?

Nova2000

Hi. 

I was making a presentation on astronomical phenomenon for some kids. 

I remembered the Gegenschine phenomenon which a senior of the local astronomy club told me about once. 

Has anyone on SGL seen it or photographed it? 

Yes, a few times, always abroad at very dark sky sites like my trips to Namibia.  However, the most impressive sighting I ever had was in the desert in Oman in 2012.  The transparency that night was at a level I have never seen before or since.  I was able to see the flame nebula easily with direct vision in my 4" scope.

Yes, I've seen it here. An experienced Dutch guest said he thought he could see it so I got comfortable and had a go myself. After about 5 minutes I thought I had it but it was marginal, so I said I'd use the laser to point to what I thought was it. It was exactly where he, too, thought it was so I think we had it. My naked eye vision is not good at all. I dare say that those very low power binos would be ideal for it.

Olly

41 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Yes, a few times, always abroad at very dark sky sites like my trips to Namibia.  However, the most impressive sighting I ever had was in the desert in Oman in 2012.  The transparency that night was at a level I have never seen before or since.  I was able to see the flame nebula easily with direct vision in my 4" scope.

Which part of the sky does it appear? 

Flame in 4inch! Wow. Really impressive. I'm sure you had a nice time there. 

23 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Which part of the sky does it appear? 

Flame in 4inch! Wow. Really impressive. I'm sure you had a nice time there. 

It appears at the anti-solar point, that is the region of sky exactly opposite the sun.

There was a good article about spotting it on the Sky & Telescope website a couple of years ago I think.

Edit: Found the link  http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/take-the-gegenschein-challenge101420151410/

Archived