SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead & Flame Nebulae (HaRGB)

PhotoGav

Here is my rendition of The Horsehead and Flame Nebulae. Finally, I have got round to processing this data set, which was taken in bits and pieces through November, December and January. I have been making sporadic progress with its processing, but it has been sitting in my 'To Do' pile for the last while, waiting for inspiration to strike me. Well, it eventually did today!

HH-LRGB-08-FinalForSGL.thumb.png.0cd1ca57e3139e9a9e9f214743a54fe4.png

Shot details are:

Altair Astro 102ED with 0.8x Reducer, QSI 683 with Baader filters, HEQ5.

Ha = 30 x 1800s
R = 25 x 300s
G = 25 x 300s
B = 30 x 300s
TOTAL = 21 hours 40 minutes

I used the Hydrogen Alpha data in the Red channel and also as a Luminance layer. This project has suffered from massive reflection issues, mainly in the Blue channel. So much so, that I had to reshoot a load of the Blue data, only doing so when the target had gone past the meridian. Is this normal for there to be so much reflection? Is there an issue with the telescope or the filter? I know that Alnitak is a monster (and it is bulging in this pic, desperate to burst out and obliterate everything!), but should there really be a load of reflections from it? Anyway, I'm rambling...

I hope you like the image and as ever, please let me know your comments and constructive criticisms.

Thank you and clear skies!

A cracking image,
puts my rendition of it to shame :happy72: but you do have nearly 21 hours more data than mine,

Really like the stars in this, so much better without the defraction spikes, think i may need to off load the 130 P-DS and get a decent refractor for imaging 

Thank you for your encouraging comments all. It makes the effort worthwhile!

@JemC if you are wondering how to spend your life savings, then I recommend a fast refractor, a super high quality mono CCD and a dome to put it all in. That will certainly start to make imaging less difficult! I still have a long wish list though, new filters being top of the list, oh and more scopes! And a cloud dispersal gun...

2 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Thank you for your encouraging comments all. It makes the effort worthwhile!

@JemC if you are wondering how to spend your life savings, then I recommend a fast refractor, a super high quality mono CCD and a dome to put it all in. That will certainly start to make imaging less difficult! I still have a long wish list though, new filters being top of the list, oh and more scopes! And a cloud dispersal gun...

Terrific image!--The Ha really gives it a boost.  

Rodd

A couple of thoughts Gav - What is the purple halo on the edge of the right hand side? Also, on the background of the 'curtains' underneath and to the right of the bright star there's and odd magenta semi circle? 

Well done Gav, your perseverance has paid off and you have a beautiful and rich image.  You've captured and processed the dust details below and to the right of the HH very well along with the detail lurking within NGC 2023.  Super.

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

A couple of thoughts Gav - What is the purple halo on the edge of the right hand side? Also, on the background of the 'curtains' underneath and to the right of the bright star there's and odd magenta semi circle? 

I'm curious too on these points.  Internal reflections can be problematic too and I have to say I've never noticed any from my Astrodons.

Thank you kind people. I was quite surprised when totting up the total integration time quite how much data I had gathered. It certainly does make a difference though - the more data the better, no doubts.

Sara & Barry - You have totally and utterly rumbled me... that is exactly the sticking point with this image - the two areas you have spotted, Sara, are reflections. They are most pronounced in the blue channel, present in the green channel to a lesser extent, but not present in the red channel. I have not had these reflection issues before with any of my other telescopes and it is only with the relatively new Altair Astro 102 that it has appeared. I suppose it could be a Baader filter issue (I don't need any more reasons than that to purchase Astrodons!), though I've been using those filters for a few years now and have never seen reflections like this before. Perhaps I had better get on to Altair and ask their opinion.

Has anyone got two grand they can lend, give, me please?!

41 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Thank you kind people. I was quite surprised when totting up the total integration time quite how much data I had gathered. It certainly does make a difference though - the more data the better, no doubts.

Sara & Barry - You have totally and utterly rumbled me... that is exactly the sticking point with this image - the two areas you have spotted, Sara, are reflections. They are most pronounced in the blue channel, present in the green channel to a lesser extent, but not present in the red channel. I have not had these reflection issues before with any of my other telescopes and it is only with the relatively new Altair Astro 102 that it has appeared. I suppose it could be a Baader filter issue (I don't need any more reasons than that to purchase Astrodons!), though I've been using those filters for a few years now and have never seen reflections like this before. Perhaps I had better get on to Altair and ask their opinion.

Has anyone got two grand they can lend, give, me please?!

A set of Astrodon LRGBs is less than a single Astrodon 3nm Gav :grin:

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

A set of Astrodon LRGBs is less than a single Astrodon 3nm Gav :grin:

Dave

Trouble is, Dave, I would have to get the LRGB set and the three narrowband 3nm filters too. Ouch! What is most painful is that it will happen, eventually! I am aware of my fate in this matter...

12 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Trouble is, Dave, I would have to get the LRGB set and the three narrowband 3nm filters too. Ouch! What is most painful is that it will happen, eventually! I am aware of my fate in this matter...

I do sympathise Gav, I've "had to" buy two Star 71s and two sets of Astrodon 3nm filters to try and drag some data from our rubbish skies :grin:

Dave

Forgot to mention 2 QSI683s

Just now, Davey-T said:

I do sympathise Gav, I've "had to" buy two Star 71s and two sets of Astrodon 3nm filters to try and drag some data from our rubbish skies :grin:

Dave

And it's still cloudy........ aaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!

Archived