Narrowband

Canon banding problem.

I have had a problem with banding in my images. After some researching and a bit of help from others, its been identified as Canon banding. ( thanks Ken )

It became apparent when I started using an EQ mount. Before this I was using an Alt-AZ mount, because of field rotation and limited exposure times the banding was not noticeable and lost during stacking.

It seems to be worse once the camera has been modified.

I was directed to Fitswork software ( free download ) to deal with the problem.

Now I just need to try it.

Anyone had good results on banding with Fitswork. A push in the right direction would be helpful :) 

An example of my Canon banding below. ( worst one yet )

Cheers

Nige.

58d950cae02ec_Canonbanding.thumb.jpg.153cca56a3f82e6196967d598e21a4e7.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tuomo said:

What about calibration frames? Do you use them?

Canon banding cannot be calibrated out. PixInsight comes with a script to remove/reduce it, and you can buy a Ps plugin that does the same. I've no experience with Fitsworks though. 

Guest Tuomo
Just now, Filroden said:

Canon banding cannot be calibrated out. PixInsight comes with a script to remove/reduce it, and you can buy a Ps plugin that does the same. I've no experience with Fitsworks though. 

Thanks for the info! I will keep this in my mind If I ever happen to notice banding in my Canon too...

Sorry, I should have given a few details.

Yes- This image has 30x240s light - 50 bias - 30 flat - 30 dark.

I have had a play with Fitswork and found this formula gives me a fairly good result - Processing tab - Background flatten - lines to equal values.

A quick PI stretch shows a better image.

banding.thumb.jpg.68c1d4360152f4c68fce36d0a42eee65.jpg

11 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Startools has a banding algorithm vertical and horizontal ,free to try 

I do use startools which will help a little but I still get visible bands.

52 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

It could just be electrical interference - check out any nearby mains/psu cables etc.

Louise

Hi thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of that.

I will look into it

Nige.

In PixInsight there is a "Script -> Utilities -> Canon Banding Removal" script that is pretty good (it does struggle with a really bright big target in the middle of the frame such as the Orion Nebula).

The banding seems to be a really strange form of noise. I get it horribly on my images, but only after I have stacked them. I can find no evidence of it in the lights, darks or bias frames themselves. The only way I can get around it is to dither the images with a large dither size (I use "Very Large" or "Extreme" in PHD2), and changing from ISO400 to ISO800 seems to have really helped as well (although I have not taken as many subs as ISO800 so this might just be an illusion).

7 hours ago, frugal said:

In PixInsight there is a "Script -> Utilities -> Canon Banding Removal" script that is pretty good (it does struggle with a really bright big target in the middle of the frame such as the Orion Nebula).

The banding seems to be a really strange form of noise. I get it horribly on my images, but only after I have stacked them. I can find no evidence of it in the lights, darks or bias frames themselves. The only way I can get around it is to dither the images with a large dither size (I use "Very Large" or "Extreme" in PHD2), and changing from ISO400 to ISO800 seems to have really helped as well (although I have not taken as many subs as ISO800 so this might just be an illusion).

Great, thanks for the info :) 

I can see the banding in my subs at 240s 800 ISO. I was thinking about trying 400 ISO to see if it helps.

I will try the PI banding removal.

Nige.

Archived