Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galactic center most center star

Hello!

I have read that the most bright part of the Milky Way (the galactic center or GC for abbreviation) is in Saggitarius constelation but I don't know which star is (or stellar coordinate if there's no star in this exact point) the most center. And, if taking GC as whole, related to this center star, which will be the radius of the GC?

There's a big black hole there: Sagittarius A*. It's mass is about 4 million solar masses.

This diagram from wikipedia show how some of the nearests stars orbit it.

600px-Galactic_centre_orbits.svg.png

Note the inset which shows the size of the orbit of Neptune

The stars in the centre of the Milky Way are not resolvable to even the best of telescopes available to amateur astronomers.  We are only just beginning to map that area now through the latest advanced instruments, in wavelengths outside of the optical.

In terms of actual size as seen from earth, the band of the Milky Way that is visible covers a vast area of sky.  Your best bet would be to get to a site that is dark enough to observe the Milky Way with the naked eye, and you will be able to see the glow from the centre if conditions are favourable. 

Sagittarius A is the area that contains our Galaxy's black hole. 

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

There's a big black hole there: Sagittarius A*. It's mass is about 4 million solar masses.

This diagram from wikipedia show how some of the nearests stars orbit it.

600px-Galactic_centre_orbits.svg.png

Note the inset which shows the size of the orbit of Neptune

Curious the orbit of star S14, it seems that it's orbit plane is parallel to our vision...

And it's really that Sgr A* proper motions are zero?

1 hour ago, BeerMe said:

The stars in the centre of the Milky Way are not resolvable to even the best of telescopes available to amateur astronomers.  We are only just beginning to map that area now through the latest advanced instruments, in wavelengths outside of the optical.

In terms of actual size as seen from earth, the band of the Milky Way that is visible covers a vast area of sky.  Your best bet would be to get to a site that is dark enough to observe the Milky Way with the naked eye, and you will be able to see the glow from the centre if conditions are favourable. 

Sagittarius A is the area that contains our Galaxy's black hole. 

I have seen the Milky Way's large arch in the night sky several times, but for photographic purposes, the "most" attractive part of the whole is the brightest part (GC). The rest is mostly a shadow of color, very subtle.  

9 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'm not sure if you're asking for a specific location or simply for a chart to get you looking at the right spot in the sky.  If the latter, I googled galactic center Sagittarius chart in images and came up with lots results.

It's more related to for a chart than a specific location. I googled it myself too and I got different position for the GC star/position. Some of them say it is 3 sag star, others sgr A*, and so on... That's why I asked. And no, it's not for getting few images, it's more related to calculations... but thank you anyway.

Another question related to the galactic center...Here I have a screen capture of Stellarium with the galactic center (Sgr A*) and the galactic equator marked in pink.

Ok, for certain purposes I want to know which is the angle of the equator in this zone. Not a wide zone, but somewhat in radius of 10.0 degrees. Is there any star that I can use to calculate its azimuth and elevation and then get the angle I need? There's another option also, by choosing some random stars clicking Stellarium on the equator, but I want something more exact...

Galactic Center.png

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'calculate its azimuth and elevation', but if you look at the text detail on the top left of the screen, the fifth row down gives the Alt/Az of Sgr A*, but of course is only an instantaneous value from when you took the screenshot.

Just to be clear (sorry if this has been noted :/ ) - if looking in the direction of Sagittarius (not that easy from UK) you are looking towards the Galactic Centre. In the opposite direction looking into Taurus/Auriga you are looking out of the Galaxy towards the edge.
Auriga is one of my new favourites as it contains a few Messier objects.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎/‎04‎/‎05 at 11:43, Gfamily said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'calculate its azimuth and elevation', but if you look at the text detail on the top left of the screen, the fifth row down gives the Alt/Az of Sgr A*, but of course is only an instantaneous value from when you took the screenshot.

Yeah, I know that altitude/azimuth are visible in Stellarium for the given moment and geographic position, but despite of that (to know the most center star/object) I'm working t get the "angle" of the galactic equator visible from the same position and time/hour. Currently I'm using some stars that are pretty close to this line but if it's possible to get more accurate ones will be better.

Archived