SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 - New RH up and running

Apologies if have missed anyones post recently - work and sons exams prep taking priority just now.

Here is a look at M81 55 hours of data from the new AP RH 305 (that i have a vested interested in with my camera and filters hanging off the back :) will live there for a few years returning some photons from my equipment - unheard of over here!) + the RC data which i could not help throwing into the mixer.

Focused on the galaxy may return and have a look at what IFN is lurking in there, some subtle hints for now.  Some nice detail around Holmberg IX including some red which I had not noted previously.  To the lower right of the galaxy also appears to be a galaxy in front of a star (can't be so will have to look into that, maybe s little lensing or a jet of some sort)

58d946e285eb9_M81V1.thumb.png.c1727ed35a3be1d56db39448e13e19bb.png

Hope you like.

Paddy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a beggar of a galaxy to get right and I never have got it right. Here you have preserved interesting and convincing contrasts right through the brightness range. Holmberg has colour.  There's flux. A bit of of killer, I'd say, Mr G! :icon_salut:

Olly

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Stunning Paddy. Huge amount of galaxies lurking in the background.

Thanks - there are quite a few interesting little features lurking in their when examined in detail.  Some needing a bit of research! 

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

That's a real stunner. Btw, a belated congratulations on your picture of the month (NGC 7331 and friends) in Astronomy Now, very well deserved.

Thanks on both counts.  Appreciate feedback.

58 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This is a beggar of a galaxy to get right and I never have got it right. Here you have preserved interesting and convincing contrasts right through the brightness range. Holmberg has colour.  There's flux. A bit of of killer, I'd say, Mr G! :icon_salut:

Olly

Thanks Olly, always something to work on, the stars where a pain but managed to find some extra features I had not seen before, little emission was a new one for me.  Thanks for kind words.

58 minutes ago, RichLD said:

I really can't recall seeing a better version of this, wonderful! :thumbsup:

Thanks - some nice versions out there but appreciate kind words.

40 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Thats a stonker... about as good as it gets!

Thanks - there is always something to work on but pleased with results so far.

Thanks all, Paddy

3 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Some nice detail around Holmberg IX including some red which I had not noted previously.  To the lower right of the galaxy also appears to be a galaxy in front of a star (can't be so will have to look into that, maybe s little lensing or a jet of some sort)

Good spot on the nebulosity in Holmberg IX, I haven't seen that before either. Whereabouts is this anomalous galaxy/star please?

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

I like this Paddy - delicate processing on a core that is often nothing more than grey wavelets. A standard has been set :)

Thanks Sara - one that will be surpassed soon enough - but i'll take my 30 seconds :) - appreciate comment.

1 hour ago, Filroden said:

That's beautiful. I don't think there is more I could say.

Thanks Ken - that'll to just fine ;) - appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Good spot on the nebulosity in Holmberg IX, I haven't seen that before either. Whereabouts is this anomalous galaxy/star please?

Just above HIX - on super zoom it appears to actually be in front of star, which clearly makes no sense.  Maybe some lensing, interacting galaxies or a jet?

Probably just an artefact but worth an investigation - 'tis how things get found after alll.

2017-03-27_22-20-20.thumb.png.96e0813387b0ba12387a0d3afb80be19.png

Paddy

Mesmerizing.  Doesn't look like an artifact to me--certainly not a star issue as its the only one--be interesting to see if it can be duplicated.  I am currently working on M81 and I will look out for it.  

Rodd

13 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Thanks Sara - one that will be surpassed soon enough - but i'll take my 30 seconds :) - appreciate comment.

Thanks Ken - that'll to just fine ;) - appreciated.

Just above HIX - on super zoom it appears to actually be in front of star, which clearly makes no sense.  Maybe some lensing, interacting galaxies or a jet?

Probably just an artefact but worth an investigation - 'tis how things get found after alll.

2017-03-27_22-20-20.thumb.png.96e0813387b0ba12387a0d3afb80be19.png

Paddy

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Mesmerizing.  Doesn't look like an artifact to me--certainly not a star issue as its the only one--be interesting to see if it can be duplicated.  I am currently working on M81 and I will look out for it.  

Rodd

It is [PR95] 50238 galaxy.  That said it is listed as 1 galaxy on maps but appears to be an overlapping pair or two.

On SDSS looks like two to me with the catalogued one @ 1.2 billion ly.

2017-03-28_10-08-11.png.e52e20de3bb71044497d6df50c6a3cb7.png

6 hours ago, astro mick said:

Very nice indeed Patrick.

Mick.

Thanks Mick

4 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Glorious technicolour Paddy - great detail and it must be very satisfying to see data from your new scope and set up at last :headbang:.

Yes pleased seeing some return on the expense few and 12" @ f/3.8 is a nice option to have at a dark site.  Thanks for feedback on image too.

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Beautiful image Paddy, 55 hours :eek: been working on the same target for a while and managed 15 hours so far LOL.

Dave

Offshore is that way forward, 55 hours data is exactly 54 hours more than I have managed so far this year from home.  Thanks for feedback.

Paddy

13 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

It is [PR95] 50238 galaxy.  That said it is listed as 1 galaxy on maps but appears to be an overlapping pair or two.

On SDSS looks like two to me with the catalogued one @ 1.2 billion ly.

2017-03-28_10-08-11.png.e52e20de3bb71044497d6df50c6a3cb7.png

Paddy--I checked and believe it or not it is in my green channel image!  I was surprised.  It is not as well formed, but it is definitely there.  Thanks for pointing this little jem out

Rodd

12 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Awesome work! Probably one of the best amateur images of M81 I have seen.

Couldn't agree more, this is absolutely superb, having been (badly) attempting 81 and 82 over the few clear nights last week I take my hat off to you Paddy (again)!

Keep up the good work

Huw

On 29/03/2017 at 01:52, Rodd said:

Paddy--I checked and believe it or not it is in my green channel image!  I was surprised.  It is not as well formed, but it is definitely there.  Thanks for pointing this little jem out

Rodd

Excellent - look forward to seeing all the channels :) 

20 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Awesome work! Probably one of the best amateur images of M81 I have seen.

Cheers Stuart - appreciated.

19 hours ago, carastro said:

Absolutely stunning Paddy.

Carole 

Thanks Carole

7 hours ago, Horwig said:

Couldn't agree more, this is absolutely superb, having been (badly) attempting 81 and 82 over the few clear nights last week I take my hat off to you Paddy (again)!

Keep up the good work

Huw

Thanks Huw - appreciate kind comments from you and all.

Paddy

Archived