SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY PSP spring star party

wookie1965

Friday night is a blur I tried Tegamine but could not split to get the third component. Damian was kind enough to show me M51 and the Leo Trio although we could only see M65/M66 in his 13mm Ethos. Saturday was better once Nick and myself had worked out the best placement of the focuser in my 200p  to enable us to look through it without turning it in the rings. M1 first and dead centre with my 25mm BST, this is only the second time I have saw this but this time was brilliant could clearly see it from the black background, Now in no particular order NGC 4631 (whale Galaxy), M64 (Black Eye) M81 and M82 both brighter with more contrast in same FOV. M51 two bright cores yes. Hunting around Leo obviously the Trio and we had all three in FOV  NGC 3628 was faint but there, next near main body M95,M96,M105,NGC 3412, NGC 3377 and NGC 3367 so many fuzzies here I did not know half of them. M63 sunflower this Im not sure about as In we looked at so many named galaxies and I cannot remember all of them I`m sure Nicks report will fill them in. Owl nebula with two dark eyes stunning,  clusters the double looked stunning M44 could see this by eye in Nicks 10" dob breathtaking filled the FOV. NGC 2419  ( Intergalactic Wanderer) 300000 light years away the furthest object we can see and last but not least 41p Tuttle bluish comet. I have missed clusters and nebula out just cannot remember what I saw, there was that much thanks to Nick for the sky tour and my mount worked brilliant until Sunday when it broke again. Think I have sorted it again now ordered two new altitude bolts. I know I used more power on a couple and a UHC filter but cannot remember for the life of me which must remember to write things down but was having such a good night got caught up in viewing and everything was in the FOV no matter what part of the sky we pointed at.

Glad its finally showed you some good Views Paul.

I still have to write a report up. 

The sky transparency was not really there although I will admit to being ruined by dark sites that really are that. 

Good weekend and a pleasure to be out with fellow Astronomers. 

Archived