Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem syncing stellarium to see exactly what I'm shooting

Hi. I've been really lucky to have a few clear nights and managed to take some nice shots of  M65, M81-M82, M97-M108 and M13. 

I have stellarium set to see my eos 700d and the OAG.

I'm using the full version of APT to control the exposures.

What I do is: start apt which connects to the dslr and mount then start stellarium scope, connect it to the mount and start stellarium.

I do my polar alignment and then do a 1 point alignment on a star close to the target I'm planning to shoot and do a sync in stellarium.

Using dialog based alignment in eqmod and nearest point.

I slew to a position where the target is framed nicely in stellarium and take a test frame. 

The test frame is not even close to what I see in stellarium.

For example when i was shooting m81-m82 in stellarium m82 wasn't even in the frame.

LRM_EXPORT_20170326_040418.thumb.jpg.fd9eddc446a2930356e0830cffb2c449.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

The simulator works very well.

Emil

Have you tried a three (or more) star alignment?

I find anything less than three can provide rather variable results, as EQmod needs to build a model of the offset between where the mount thinks it is pointing and where it really  aimed at.

I probably do this all wrong but I will always run phd2 to check PA doing az, ra, then will go back and check az in the south. From here I will sync to 2 nearby stars and then basically move towards my target of choice syncing along the way then I will sync about 3 stars in the area of my target.

cheers

spill.

23 minutes ago, almcl said:

Have you tried a three (or more) star alignment?

I find anything less than three can provide rather variable results, as EQmod needs to build a model of the offset between where the mount thinks it is pointing and where it really  aimed at.

I did try a 3 poin alignment too. Only once the telescope was pointing at the same spot as in stellarium.

And when I sync stellarium I always end up having different coordinates in DEC at home position and I have to delete all the points and reset the sync data to have 90 degrees in dec at home position.

It's worth just checking the basics: have you adjusted both for the change to Summer Time? Are they both set to the same time/date (noting any peculiar use of US date formats) and locations? Otherwise, as above, you may need to improve your sky model by adding more alignment stars, particularly in the area you are targeting.

55 minutes ago, spillage said:

Have you tried using cdc instead. I found it a bit daunting at first compared to stellarium but would not consider using stellarium now.

I have cdc installed but I so not like it. A lot of people are using stellarium and I'm pretty sure my problem can be solved, I just need to find a way. Thanks for the sugesstion.

42 minutes ago, Filroden said:

It's worth just checking the basics: have you adjusted both for the change to Summer Time? Are they both set to the same time/date (noting any peculiar use of US date formats) and locations? Otherwise, as above, you may need to improve your sky model by adding more alignment stars, particularly in the area you are targeting.

The time and location are similar in al the apps I'm using. I had this problem before the time change.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, spillage said:

If you are using eqmod have you cleared the data folders before your alignment? 

I have to clear everything because if I don't the home park position is not at 90 degrees dec anymore.

17 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

You might need to clear your alignment points in eqmod. If you want to guarantee being spot on the target then consider using platesolving either in APT or via Astrotortilla.

Louise

I have to look at the apt guide menu again and see if I missed something. I am using the point craft but I'm probably not using it as I should. I'm definitely doing something wrong, just need to figure out what it is.

On M81-M82 I used a frame from a previous session, APT solved it really quick. After making a 3 point alignment and syncing each of the stars in stellarium I slew the scope to the coordinates given by the platesolve. In stellarium the frame looked like the shot I used to platesolve but in test shot M82 wasn't even in the frame.

1 hour ago, emyliano2000 said:

I have to clear everything because if I don't the home park position is not at 90 degrees dec anymore.

I have to look at the apt guide menu again and see if I missed something. I am using the point craft but I'm probably not using it as I should. I'm definitely doing something wrong, just need to figure out what it is.

On M81-M82 I used a frame from a previous session, APT solved it really quick. After making a 3 point alignment and syncing each of the stars in stellarium I slew the scope to the coordinates given by the platesolve. In stellarium the frame looked like the shot I used to platesolve but in test shot M82 wasn't even in the frame.

Hi

If you're using platesolving you don't need to do any star alignment (apart from PA, of course), but just make sure the eqmod alignment points are cleared.

Louise

2 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

If you're using platesolving you don't need to do any star alignment (apart from PA, of course), but just make sure the eqmod alignment points are cleared.

Louise

I didn't know that. Thanks Louise.

OK, so how do I sync stellarium to show where the telescope is pointing if I can't see the target? If I take a test shot and the telescope is not pointing to where stellarium is showing what do I do?

I'm doing a blind solve in Point craft, then Aim where I want the center to be and then do a GoTo. It works with the simulator. Is this what I should do?

There's a few more things I just noticed. In platesolve2 View/Parameters, at the default location do I set my location? And ASPS doesn't save my longitude. I enter it W 000 22 45, I press ok and when I go back it's what you see in the screenshot. Should I enter  W 002 24 53? In all the other apps is set to w 00 22 45.3. If I press get from mount, nothing changes.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b30425a5737d8491bb8171fe69bbe6e9.jpg

When I setup all the drivers and apps should I use JNow or J2000? I noticed that if I use J2000 at home position Stellarium is not showing the Scope at the true north but if I use JNow it does.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8cae6670574dd258f38e8c881086e1be.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.26da3d8aafc7db6cc2d1838da4e6aa6a.jpg

Emil

Hi

I use Astrotortilla but I'm not sure of the procedure using APT's Pointcraft. All I do is use Stellarium to select and slew (ctrl 1) to a target. I then use Astrotortilla (via APT) to take an image and solve it. Astrotortilla works out where the scope is actually pointing to then calculates a correction and slews again. It does a second exposure and solve to confirm the scope is now on target. That's it! Usually only takes a couple of minutes in total :). Of course, you need good PA and balance and good focus too.

Louise

ps use Jnow :)

22 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I use Astrotortilla and I'm not sure how it works with APT's Pointcraft. All I do is use Stellarium to select and slew (ctrl 1) to a target. I then use Astrotortilla (via APT) to take an image and solve it. Astrotortilla works out where the scope is actually pointing to then calculates a correction and slews again. It does a second exposure and solve to confirm the scope is now on target. That's it! Usually only takes a couple of minutes in total :). Of course, you need good PA and balance and good focus too.

Louise

Hi Louise

I have AT installed too but I don't know if APT is using it and when is using it?:icon_biggrin:  Is GoTo++ using AT?

In Pointcraft I know the Solve button is using the Platesolve2 because the app is being opened when I press it, I think the Blind button is using ASPS (All Star Plate Solver). I don't know what is the Auto button using.

You said that you use AT (via APT) to take an image and solve it. What button does that, the auto or the GoTo++?

I feel like such a noob.

Thanks

Emil

12 minutes ago, emyliano2000 said:

Hi Louise

I have AT installed too but I don't know if APT is using it and when is using it?:icon_biggrin:  Is GoTo++ using AT?

In Pointcraft I know the Solve button is using the Platesolve2 because the app is being opened when I press it, I think the Blind button is using ASPS (All Star Plate Solver). I don't know what is the Auto button using.

You said that you use AT (via APT) to take an image and solve it. What button does that, the auto or the GoTo++?

I feel like such a noob.

Thanks

Emil

Hi

Well it's all done from within AT when using AT. Presumably via ascom it knows where the scope is supposed to be pointing and from the first image it takes and solves, knows where it's actually pointing. I can't help with Pointcraft, I'm afraid, but the documentation should explain.

Louise

39 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Well it's all done from within AT when using AT. Presumably via ascom it knows where the scope is supposed to be pointing and from the first image it takes and solves, knows where it's actually pointing. I can't help with Pointcraft, I'm afraid, but the documentation should explain.

Louise

Ah, I get it now. In AT at the Camera section you choose APT and then you do a capture and slove directly from AT not using the Pointcraft in APT at all.

In AT at the Actions section do you tick all the boxes and if you do, how many arcminutes do you choose?

Are there any settings in AT that I need to make? I think I left it as it was when I installed it.

Emil

55 minutes ago, emyliano2000 said:

Ah, I get it now. In AT at the Camera section you choose APT and then you do a capture and slove directly from AT not using the Pointcraft in APT at all.

In AT at the Actions section do you tick all the boxes and if you do, how many arcminutes do you choose?

Are there any settings in AT that I need to make? I think I left it as it was when I installed it.

Emil

Hi

I usually do a quick run with no boxes ticked and check it's solving ok for the selected target. Then I select the first two boxes and re-run. I've never found it necessary to tick the third box. Obviously you need to have the correct fov etc for your setup. If you're not sure of other settings have a read of the lightvortexastronomy tutorial.

Louise

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I usually do a quick run with no boxes ticked and check it's solving ok for the selected target. Then I select the first two boxes and re-run. I've never found it necessary to tick the third box. Obviously you need to have the correct fov etc for your setup. If you're not sure of other settings have a read of the lightvortexastronomy tutorial.

Louise

Thanks Louise, your answers helped me so many times, you deserve an award.

Emil

Archived