Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need stacking software

Hi. 

I need a stacking software 

I've heard a lot of Pixinsight, astro art. 

Pixinsight has nice tools and looks productive but I think I can do the same in a copy of CS6. 

Astro art has nice tools such as planetary stacking, deep sky and astrometery. It is also cheaper 

On my pc and laptop  registax and the other planetary software by asi doesn't work (very slow and hangs in the middle). 

Can you'll help me choose? 

4 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

AS!2 for planetary (AVI) stacking and DSS for deep space objects.

Peter

Ya As! 2 doesn't work well. I've been using dss but I'm searching for a upgrade. Cause some software also allow image capture and mount control. 

You can get Pixinsight on a 45 day trial - and there are great tutorials on Youtube as well as Light Vortex Astronomy. I am currently in the same dilemma and am working thorugh the 45 day trial to see if it is worth the money to me. Remember you will pay EU tax on top of the 230 euros quoted!

I have PS on monthly subscription which is another way to get Adobe products - but I like the specific actions for astro-imaging in Pixinsight.

I'm not a DSS fan. Slow and rather opaque. AstroArt is a great stacking, calibrating and cosmetic repair programme. I really only need PI for certain routines, notably DBE, and the Gradient Xterminator plug-in will do a good job in Ps, which you already have. Another good (and free) plug-in for Ps is Hasta La Vista Green from the Deep Sky Colors website. If you get on with the PI interface and its way of doing things it's very powerful but it doesn't suit me as an all in one affair. It does suit others, though.

Olly

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm not a DSS fan. Slow and rather opaque. AstroArt is a great stacking, calibrating and cosmetic repair programme. I really only need PI for certain routines, notably DBE, and the Gradient Xterminator plug-in will do a good job in Ps, which you already have. Another good (and free) plug-in for Ps is Hasta La Vista Green from the Deep Sky Colors website. If you get on with the PI interface and its way of doing things it's very powerful but it doesn't suit me as an all in one affair. It does suit others, though.

Olly

Hi ollypenrice. Have you guided with astroart? 

49 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi ollypenrice. Have you guided with astroart? 

Yes, I've used it for years and still guide the Mesu in AstroArt. It involves rather a lot of sub-windows open but getting there becomes second nature. It is easy to adjust and to trouble shoot and has always worked well for me. However, to be honest, the free PHD2 is a lot quicker to fire up and works just as well.

Olly

On 2017-03-27 at 13:59, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Yes, me. The reason I invested in PixInsight was that it has tools for stacking AND post processing. No need for other stacking software, and no need to buy addons. Also some people (including Olly, I believe) have bought it just for the gradient removal tool.

While PixInsight seems difficult at first, if/when you get familiar with the philosophy behind it, you'll find it a great piece of software. But some people just can't get along with it. So, use the trial period and test it as much as possible.

Whatever you decide to get, consider the software to be an investment, just as optics, a camera or filters. In AP there is no free lunch, and having good software is essential, whether that is PixInsight or photoshop or startools, nebulosity, etc.

Archived