Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Classic "volcano top" orthos in demand ?

John

1 hour ago, Rob said:

These Ortho's are like Astro Gold!.. I'd love to own them

Do you mean ones like these Rob ?

Sorry !  ............ but these are 'My Precious', and took some while and a lot of luck, not to mention a bit of pleading, to obtain. Sometimes I just use these instead of multi element wide angle eyepieces, or binoviewers, though I have a pair of Meade 7's. I would use 25's, 18's , and 12.5's in pairs, if only I could locate the second of each, but they are like Rocking Horse manure.

I don't know how long I have been after an 18mm !!

IMG_0392.JPG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I would use 25's, 18's , and 12.5's in pairs, if only I could locate the second of each, but they are like Rocking Horse manure.

My 18mm is the twin of yours, but you can't have it ? It's actually a focal length I don't have otherwise and should have reasonable eye relief.

Could you take a photo from the other end so I can see where the field stop is meant to be?

13 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Do you mean ones like these Rob ?

Sorry !  ............ but these are 'My Precious', and took some while and a lot of luck, not to mention a bit of pleading, to obtain. Sometimes I just use these instead of multi element wide angle eyepieces, or binoviewers, though I have a pair of Meade 7's. I would use 25's, 18's , and 12.5's in pairs, if only I could locate the second of each, but they are like Rocking Horse manure.

I don't know how long I have been after an 18mm !!

IMG_0392.JPG

Oh Steve!.. stop it!. :) Now I HAVE to go and find some when I get funds!.

Very nice collection they are too Sir!

Best Rob

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My 18mm is the twin of yours, but you can't have it ? It's actually a focal length I don't have otherwise and should have reasonable eye relief.

Could you take a photo from the other end so I can see where the field stop is meant to be?

Here are the pics Neil.

If by the next Blue Moon, an 18mm UO VT turns up, you can have my 18mm VT, but don't hold your breath :grin:

The depth from the bottom of the barrel to the underside of the field stop is 18.6mm & 26.5mm from the top of the eyepiece

cheers

Steve

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

1 minute ago, Saganite said:

The depth from the bottom of the barrel to the underside of the field stop is 18.6mm & 26.5mm from the top of the eyepiece

Brilliant, thanks. A dot of black paint is needed to keep it in place and stop it rattling, I think.

I have no binoviewer, so perhaps @Rob needs to feed his volcano addiction more than me ?

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Brilliant, thanks. A dot of black paint is needed to keep it in place and stop it rattling, I think.

I have no binoviewer, so perhaps @Rob needs to feed his volcano addiction more than me ?

For sure Neil!.. However my Meade RG 10mm is a wonderful EP. I just really like Orthos, they have stood the test of time. Pin sharp!, sure they are a little heavy on the eyerelief.. but personally I feel its worth it :)

Archived