Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have owned a variety of Meade scopes in my life, including a 2120 LX6/Premiere, a 2080 LX3 and my current scope a 2080 LX6 Premiere. I did not know the actual year of manufacture for any of these scopes, as I bought them all second hand. There appears to be next to no information on the Interwebs correlating the Meade serial numbers with the year of manufacture.

To remedy that, I'm gathering all the Meade 2080/2120 serial numbers I can find, along with the year of manufacture (if known) and tabulating them onto a webpage:

http://deepskies.com/Meade_LX_Registry.aspx

The goal is that if we gather enough examples of serial numbers and years, in the future people will be able to purchase a nice mint used LX-series scope and figure out what year theirs is from by checking this registry. It does appear (so far!) that Meade's serial numbers were sequential and that the serial number does indirectly relate to the year it was made.

So, if you happen to have a Meade LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 or Premiere kicking around and you are interested in participating, shoot me a PM (or reply here) with your serial number and year of manufacture (if known). You can also include a picture of your scope if you like. :)

I'm also gathering serial numbers for the later scopes: LX10, LX200 Classic, LX100 and LX50. I even have one LX80 on the registry! I've also put together a crude spotter's guide, as the early LX scopes (LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 & Premiere) don't actually have their model type inscribed anywhere on the scope!

Thank you!

Rick in Canada (eh!)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.