Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling all Meade 2080/2120 owners!

Hi everyone,

I have owned a variety of Meade scopes in my life, including a 2120 LX6/Premiere, a 2080 LX3 and my current scope a 2080 LX6 Premiere. I did not know the actual year of manufacture for any of these scopes, as I bought them all second hand. There appears to be next to no information on the Interwebs correlating the Meade serial numbers with the year of manufacture.

To remedy that, I'm gathering all the Meade 2080/2120 serial numbers I can find, along with the year of manufacture (if known) and tabulating them onto a webpage:

http://deepskies.com/Meade_LX_Registry.aspx

The goal is that if we gather enough examples of serial numbers and years, in the future people will be able to purchase a nice mint used LX-series scope and figure out what year theirs is from by checking this registry. It does appear (so far!) that Meade's serial numbers were sequential and that the serial number does indirectly relate to the year it was made.

So, if you happen to have a Meade LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 or Premiere kicking around and you are interested in participating, shoot me a PM (or reply here) with your serial number and year of manufacture (if known). You can also include a picture of your scope if you like. :)

I'm also gathering serial numbers for the later scopes: LX10, LX200 Classic, LX100 and LX50. I even have one LX80 on the registry! I've also put together a crude spotter's guide, as the early LX scopes (LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 & Premiere) don't actually have their model type inscribed anywhere on the scope!

Thank you!

Rick in Canada (eh!)

Archived