SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Leo Triplet of the season

DaveS

An hour each of Red, Green and Blue in 5 min subs. One red sub had a huge aircraft trail through it but Sigma Average stack got rid of it.  Bias and Flats then gradient removals. RGB trichromy then histogram stretch and saturation boost.

130mm f/7 Photoline Triplet with APM 0.75 reducer, Baader RGB filters and Trius 694 camera.

58d81bc7315a9_PhotolineStack2.thumb.png.e40f540c8eebb8c97a7c0ecea766261e.png

Looking at the histograms as I was capturing I think I could have gone to 10 min subs, I may try that at the next opportunity.

I also need to look at my flats, and try to avoid burned out cores.

You have nice data, but I think you needed to do some background subtraction prior to stretching, I have attached your data with a single round of dynamic background subtraction applied.. hope you do not mind

_58d81bc7315a9_PhotolineStack2_thumb_png_e40f540c8eebb8c97a7c0ecea766261e_DBE.thumb.png.e8542adb390d6d3e70652327afb3ec5c.png

Thanks.

No, I don't mind at all, I think I'll need all the help I can get with this one!

The only image processing software I have on the main computer is AstroArt5. I think I may have to "bite the bullet" and stump up for Pixinsight which everyone else seems to use to good effect.

There isn't DBE in AA5, so I had to use the Remove Gradient / Vignetting and Gradient before I did the Trichromy. The stretching came after, which seemed to work better than stretching before.

OK

Does anyone else have any tips on where I can go from here? I'm thinking of getting more data when I can, but the advent of BST (Boo-hiss) is making it harder, what with getting up at 6.20 for work and wanting a good night's sleep.

What tools would PI have to make the processing better? Probably still stack in AA5, but after that?

Archived