Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury 26/3/17

mikeDnight

After being thoroughly clouded out by vapour trails that lingered densely around the Sun, blocking any chance of viewing Venus at 1%, I was treated to a not so good view of Mercury. The seeing, though reasonably steady, was poisoned by a low lying mesh of aircraft vomit. Still, beggars can't be chooser! It's a diagonal view so north is top and preceeding is to the left.

Mike

2017-03-26 16.58.10.jpg

2017-03-26 18.44.30.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, John said:

The aircraft vomit filter seems to work OK Mike :icon_biggrin:

I've not viewed Mercury with a scope for a while but spotted it easily enough with binoculars a few nights back.

That's funny, as last night I mentioned to Paul, that if someone would invent a vapour trail filter theyed make millions ££££.

To be honest John,  Mercury looked awful in the murk, and got worse as it descended. Paul and I had both Taks, the DC and the DL alongside eachother, and the views through both were equally bad. A sharp gibbous phase was easily seen in both, as was the hint of a dusky marking in the north, and a less obvious and smaller marking in the south. Both scopes were held back by atmospheric dispersion as the magnification increased.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

The aircraft vomit filter seems to work OK Mike :icon_biggrin:

I've not viewed Mercury with a scope for a while but spotted it easily enough with binoculars a few nights back.

Here's a piccy for you, courtesy of Paul! ?

P3250574a.jpg

• Like 1

Attached is a map of Mercury by the IAU. The CM at the time of observation I believe was around 248°, so it seems likely the albedo features I thought I was seeing do actually correspond with the features on the IAU map. It might not be much in the greater scheme of things, but it doesn't half give me a buzz when my sketches, however wraith like, correspond to reality! ☺

Mike

2017-03-27 08.57.04.jpg

2017-03-27 09.10.53.jpg

2017-03-26 18.44.30.jpg

• Like 4

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

I’m going to have a go at observing Mercury for the first time ever asap 👍

I finally got to see Mercury for the first time on 6th and 7th of April this year. I couldn't get the big Dob on it s it was too low and I had a wall in the way, but I did grab a very poor photo of it with the 600 mm lens.

Good luck with your observations. It is very cloudy here, tonight.

• Like 2