Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WIP M51

steviemac500

Ive been trying out different calibration scripts on PI. This is the result of 3hrs L with 1 each or RGB. I went through the intergration/calibration process rather than using BPP which seems to be better. I'm going to add another 6 hrs before processing again but I'm fairly happy with the result - it is definitely my best go at this target. Please comment and critique any points you see. Thanks for looking.

M51V4.jpg

1 minute ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

I could remove some noise if you like?

Hi Bruce, not sure it's worth it just now as I'm going to add more to it tonight. What process would you use? I'm not quite that far into Mr Keller's book!

Just now, steviemac500 said:

Hi Bruce, not sure it's worth it just now as I'm going to add more to it tonight. What process would you use? I'm not quite that far into Mr Keller's book!

I use a very basic procedure in gimp, no doubt some photons are lost but it cleans up a noisy image.

Download image/open in gimp/duplicate layer/set duplicated layer to "Multiply"/merge then save as:....I added a 3rd step to your image by desaturariting then again making it "Multiply" ontop of the image then made it 36% opacity to bring back some lost photons.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

I use a very basic procedure in gimp, no doubt some photons are lost but it cleans up a noisy image.

Download image/open in gimp/duplicate layer/set duplicated layer to "Multiply"/merge then save as:....I added a 3rd step to your image by desaturariting then again making it "Multiply" ontop of the image then made it 36% opacity to bring back some lost photons.

Thanks for that Bruce. I'm on my phone right now so it's not the best for seeing the difference. There's definitely a reduction in noise but the cost looks like the brightness/saturation of the original is gone? Once I get the rest of the data tonight (hopefully) I'll do a full recalibration etc then see what I can do with the noise. 

Nice result so far. With more data you may not need to do much noise reduction. But if you do, Warren Keller has a good recipe in his book (the part on linear processing, using MLT).

Good luck getting more data.

Archived