Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Taking pictures with cannon 1300d

2 hours ago, Glen01246 said:

Hi  

any help would be good I just got a new camera cannon 1300d and I have a celestron nexstar127 slt doe/s any one know how to set the camera up as I can't see anything lol 

Things to check. Do you see anything through the telescope/camera in daylight ? Have you checked that the camera shutter will fire without a lens attached ? (this is set in the camera's custom functions). Is the camera set to manual ? If possible, switch noise reduction (NR) off. Shutter speed ? ISO setting ? Correctly focussed ? The Skywatcher/Celestron 127 mak has a wide focus range so it might take a few turns of the focus wheel to get into focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Try it in TV mode.  This is what I took, with my Rebel T3 (1100D) and a Barlow x2

Use the open shutter view on the camera - a red dot next to a white camera shape with a black rectangle in it on my camera, then use the zoom view function on the back top right button on mine marked with a cross formed with white squares and adjust the focus with the focusser wheel on the telescope.

Sorry to barge in on this, I have 1100d and when attached without lens, turn to video mode and a warning comes up saying can't film without lens,.but I simply press one of the 3 buttons next to the screen and all is good. I have magic lantern installed that lets me lower the ISO in video mode that otherwise I was unable to do. 

I have heard you can video in 5x zoom on liveview mode but never been able to ?

Hi There,

I have a 1300d. It looks to me like your focus is off slightly. Make sure you use manual camera settings and play with your shutter speed and ISO and fine adjust your telescope. You can't control aperture as your telescope is now acting as your lens so your camera will show F0. I assume your 1st picture is Jupiter and its moons. To get a good Jupiter you will need a faster shutter speed to get detail as it is bright but you will lose the moons. The message about the lens not being attached is normal in video mode, just press the record button anyway, it still works.

For focusing get yourself a bahtinov mask they are not expensive and make loads of difference, you can even make your own out of card see this website http://astrojargon.net/MaskGen.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Be aware that using video mode directly from the camera lowers the quality, to get better video try Backyard EOS to record video of the moon and planets etc. then select the best frames. It has a free trial for 30 days to test it.  It allows 5x recording which gives you a much better resolution than what the camera records at. (PS The 5x or 10x button on the camera only zooms in the view on the LCD, it doesn't record that whereas the software does record at 5x if you select it).

On 05/04/2017 at 11:37, Peco4321 said:

I have heard you can video in 5x zoom on liveview mode but never been able to ?

Cant be done on the camera I'm afraid, you need software such as backyard or APT to do it. Don't know why they designed it so it can show it to you on the lcd but not record it, seems a bit daft but thats the way it is.

Suppose it can be got round by taking multiple exposures instead

Archived