Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble imaging on an unguided NEQ6 mount

At 1/500 of a second I cant see how you can get star trails! Maybe vibration from the camera mirror?

My NEQ6 Pro can be a mare at times with the weight I try to load onto it but at that short exposure I would get OK images. I can only assume you are nowhere near polar aligned. And if using EQMOD to control the mount, maybe you have it set to Lunar maybe?

Could you post an image?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To polar align i opened up the polar scope and pointed it at Polaris, which was super tricky to work out which it was, but on the tutorial it said it didn't need to be Polaris as long as it tracked fine? Once id found it i centered it on the cross and rotated the RA axis through 180 degrees, it drifted off so i brought it back in by half way the distance it had drifted and then rotated again and repeated until it stayed on the cross as i rotated the RA. I then 'moved' the star down so that it was in the 'Polaris circle'.  I haven't tried drift aligning no, (excuse my ignorance here) but what is that? 

9 hours ago, Star101 said:

At 1/500 of a second I cant see how you can get star trails! Maybe vibration from the camera mirror?

My NEQ6 Pro can be a mare at times with the weight I try to load onto it but at that short exposure I would get OK images. I can only assume you are nowhere near polar aligned. And if using EQMOD to control the mount, maybe you have it set to Lunar maybe?

Could you post an image?

I dont use EQMOD, my mount is the only tracking i have at the mo, im looking into the autoguiding route, but want to sort the issues im having first. What would you like a photo of and il see if i can sort one out? 

10 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Sorry but I just don't see the mirror in a DSLR camera shaking the scope and mount enough to cause that, as long as the set up is rigid, it would have to move the whole lot a fraction, and I don't see it, but like I say it's just my opinion. 

I have never used mirror lock yet and never had an issue, but I don't use it for planets, so maybe I wouldn't see it anyway.

It does, I've also noticed it in lunar shots I've taken with a DSLR. 

I would download and use this polar align tool to get a the correct position for polaris.

Once you have this near enough I would then drift align using your dslr. A good guide can be found here.

Once you have your kit running through a laptop with guiding some things do get easier.

If you leave you mount on the pier then once you have good PA you should be able to leave it for quite a long time as long as nothing is moved or something slips.

On 28/03/2017 at 14:03, spillage said:

I would download and use this polar align tool to get a the correct position for polaris.

Once you have this near enough I would then drift align using your dslr. A good guide can be found here.

Once you have your kit running through a laptop with guiding some things do get easier.

If you leave you mount on the pier then once you have good PA you should be able to leave it for quite a long time as long as nothing is moved or something slips.

Thank you very much, that should be a huge help!

I take my mount off at the end of every session as i'm worried it'll break seeing as its electronic and i have no real cover other than a tarp over it, do people usually just leave the whole mount out then?

Archived