Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Stub Mandrel

M51 from last night

28 two-minute subs at ISO800 using th3 Canon 450D with th3 150PL. I was amazed at how well it picked out the fainter bits for so few subs.

I'm trying another run combining with 100+ 30 second ISO1600 subs from last year.

If it works OK I will try drizzling a crop.

Looks good. 2 minutes subs on an EQ3 with a long fl, and still nice round stars, that's quite a feat. :icon_salut:

If I were you, I probably wouldn't mix in shorter subs. You run the risk of revealing the fixed noise pattern of the camera (despite bias frames). But if you can manage 50+ 2 minute exposures, that would really bring the noise down. Otoh, 100 minutes clear sky may be too much to ask for. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Phillips6549
      Complete beginner question regarding using this mount.
      When I have tried to set up and align the mount , the goto targeting is off by many degrees.  Here's what I do - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong!?

With the power off:
      Align the tripod and mount to North and, with the clutches released, set the declination to my latitude (52deg 28' N). and the mount in the weights-down home position.
      Lock the clutches and fine tune the alignment on Polaris using the mechanical adjustments on the mount.

Turn the power on:
      Set up the date, time and location, elevation etc. in the handset (noting the American Date format and Longitude first (set to W 1deg 48')
      DST = Yes
      Select 1 Star align
      Pick a star, I usually try Procyon or Betelguese depending on the time.
      The scope slews to vaguely the right direction but actually nowhere near.  It can take 2 or 3 minutes of manual slewing to centre the star in the eyepiece.  Finishing, of course, with an up and right movement.
      Finally, press Enter to complete the alignment ==> Alignment Successful says the handset optimistically.  
      Now from the object menu pick another target.  Try, say, Polaris which was where I started and ... nowhere near it.   It's the same regardless of the selected target.

I have tried 2 star alignment and 3 star alignment, a factory reset before starting,  but nothing seems to work.   Once i'm lined up on a target the mount tracks nicely - it just won't go where I want it to!
      Not yet at my wits end but - Help!  
      Mark
    • By cjdawson
      Hi everyone.
      A friend has an EQ3 Goto mount, I think it's the Sky-watcher one.    Currently, I know nothing about them, except that he's having issues getting it to work.  To the point that he's getting so frustrated with it he's seriously starting to thinking about throwing the mount away.
      He's described what's happening to me.    What he's saying is that the mount never points to the place where he's asked it to point.    He's saying that say the scope is supposed to point towards something in Orion, it'll end up pointing somewhere on the other side of the sky.     He's also said that it doesn't seem to want to track past a certain point in RA.
      I'd thought rather than simply jump in and try to help him out and get just as confused,  I was wondering if there's some check list of common EQ3 faults that I could work through to see if we can solve the issue.

Once thing I do know is that he's running the mount from a dedicated tracer battery, so it maybe safe to assume that the power supply is good.   (althought it's something I'm going to double check as I don't want to miss anything)
    • By Nigeyboy
      Afternoon all,
      I have set my sights on this OTA, as I think it is a good compromise between aperture and focal length. What I am struggling to find is some good reviews from people who have actually owned and used this scope themselves!
      So - any of you peeps had this scope now / in the past? What are your thoughts, and are there any issues / problems I should know about?
      It will be mounted on an EQ3-2 for the time being. I hope to have saved up enough by next summer to get a more substantial mount!
      Thanks in advance
      Nige 
    • By Stub Mandrel
      34 2-minute subs, no darks. Exif says 6c so the sensor was probably somewhere between -15 and -20C!
      Begging for a few more hours!

• By Stub Mandrel
      To my surprise last night wasn't a complete write-off. I managed to get another 135 minutes of decent 5-minute frames of M31, this time without my LP filter. Total of 3 hours 55 minutes with my cooled canon. There was some streaky noise caused by drifting very thin cloud.
      The subs were much brighter and no moon plus high elevation meant I got away with it. The mix of frames with and without filter stopped the core being too badly blown out. I think I've controlled my urge to over-process this time, but any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.