Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bode's Nebula and the IFN

scarp15

Date: 25.03.2017

Instrument: 14" / F4.6 Dobsonian + Paracorr

Transparency: Good / Very good

Ave SQM reading: 21.3

Mel Bartels describes the Integrated Flux Nebula within the vicinity of M81 and M82, which combines with the Volcano IFN, as incorporating broad and bright areas, IFN are clouds of dust that are illuminated by the glow of the Milky Way. Mel's drawings combined with recent images, such as those posted by Uranium235, convey a good indication as, under the right conditions and circumstances, what to visually expect. An exploration of this area would follow later and based on my criteria, very much an after thought as there was plenty to become occupied with.

The session began with a hunt for comet 41P/ Tuttle-Glacobini-Kresak. It was quickly picked up and as others have described, resembled that of a brighter galaxy and resembling a diffuse scaled down version of M31. My attention next turned to Draco and NGC 4236, a large spiral galaxy, highlighted on the forum recently as worth a look. In my 14" dobsonian the galaxy appeared faint, diffuse quite shapely and large, I visited this again later on during a period when transparency was particularly good and received the same faint profile. I can appreciate that larger dobsonians would accomplish this more. Remaining around Draco, I picked up NGC 5204 and then onto NGC 5907 the Splinter Galaxy, a bright edge on, that in the best tradition of galaxy observing will benefit favourably with medium to high power.

Attaching my OIII filter, I took a look at M97, the Owl Nebula, increasing the magnification to gain a sense of the owl like face. Leaving the Plough I turned towards Cassiopeia and the Pacman nebula, which was bright and distinct. I therefore drifted across to Perseus and to search for NGC 1491, a diffuse emission nebula with a bright core and also known as the Fossil Footprint. It was quite a surprise when I eventually encountered this as indeed it is quite bright and resembled a large fuzzy Planetary and become worth the effort to find.  Next I looked for Planetary Nebula NGC 1501 The Camels Eye. Along the way I touched on the asterism Kembles Cascade and the lovely open cluster at its base, NGC 1502 (the Golden Harp Cluster)  the asterism best appreciated as a binocular or rich field scope target. The Camels Eye is a lovely perfectly formed concentric planetary, one I think I have visited before and well worth seeking out. Many open clusters were encountered such as NGC 1528, whilst in this region.    

Jupiter commanded attention and appeared pristine and clean with the moons widely spread encapsulated within my 13mm Ethos. The planetary surface was dynamic, with considerable surface detail and festoons that were in particular highly prominent within the North Equatorial Belt region.  If I were unable to observe Jupiter again this season, the memory of this encounter would linger on. Next I visited M3, rich and enthralling, after which the Plough was almost over head and any patches of thin high cloud, no where to be seen.

M82, M81 along with their companions NGC 3077 and NGC 2976, created a bright and dynamic composition. What I consider was quite apparent whilst drifting between the group was that it is quite possible to visually deduce broad sweeps and curves of IFN with a large apparent region near to M81. I was using my 31mm T5 and paracorr with an exit pupil of 5.84mm, X59 and 1.38 degree field. Becoming familiar with the drawings and images and waiting for the right period, the awareness of what I was observing increased the sensation of the extraordinary visual impression of the M81, M82 group.

Finally the night completed with a tour into Virgo's Markarian's Chain. the pattern of glows quite mesmerising and many further galaxies such as M100 encountered on the way.   

Thanks Gerry and John, conditions last night were pretty good, there was no condensation or wind and whilst there was a little light haze affecting one part of the sky or another from time to time, this passed over quickly and overall transparency remained very good. I had been quite fortunate to have been able to make the most in terms of getting out for a succession of once a month dark sky trips around a new moon and this has enabled me to grow accustomed to appreciating and attempting observations of faint and quite challenging nebula structures, such as Barnards Loop and the Jellyfish nebula.

3 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

Impressive stuff. How does the IFN around Bodes compare in appearance/difficulty with other faint targets you've observed?

Thanks Paul, it was quite reasonable to determine the IFN formations, especially the block like Volcano regions. A combination of research - gaining an understanding towards what to potentially expect, complete dark adaption and a grasp for responding visually to faint structures, combined with optimum timing, following on from several hours of observing and the secrete weapon, employing a large exit pupil, wide field, low power, the conviction in the observation was absolute. I do not expect to go chasing many of these IFN regions, Mel Bartels considered this region to be bright relatively speaking in comparison with other areas. I think that there is a lot to be said for observing on your own when in this situation, your concentration is 100% there and you become fully sensitised to this kind of environment and towards the applied tasks.

I would actually like to step up and venture a bit further really and get to places yet darker, in which Northumberland and the Borders are rich and plentiful, Kielder of course is just one area. Also last night I had a final look at M42 and the Trapezium looked particularly fine.   

Funnily enough, I warmed up with M42 on Saturday and wondered at the time if it was a final farewell for the year. Still spectacular even when it's low in the sky.

Great advice above. I left my big fat low power eyepiece at home thinking it was all about mid/high power galaxies at this time of year! I agree about the concentration and research. Getting a few clues from the DSS images has been crucial to me seeing something on many occasions. The forum is a gold mine too. I enjoy sharing the view with my family, but it's definitely not conducive to seeing those elusive targets and details!

Sounds like us southerners either need a major blackout or a large fuel bill to emulate?! We can match 21.3 skies, but not much more....

well done on snagging the IFN... should be able to nab most of the sharpless objects we have mentioned here... but with the milky way departing and the clocks changed.... time to tend to one's kit and prepare for the autumn!

peter

6 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Lovely report, light haze plagued our recent skies, but plenty to see !

Nick.

Yes that's the main thing, at least there has been some clear skies for everyone.

1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

:biggrin: A rookie mistake! I'll know for next time!

Use your 24mm Paul to assist to frame / drift along Markarian's Chain, which contains eight galaxies that seem to just float in the blackness, a kind of galaxy asterism. 

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Thanks very much! Looking at the scale I'm not sure if I've ever experienced s q m 21.3 conditions!

My Sky Quality Meter has become a highly valued tool. I use various dark sky locations, therefore it is interesting to measure dark sky quality during intermittent periods when there is absolutely no haze, cloud etc and making comparisons between each session and location. My journeys usually take 45-55 minutes and typically measurements range as an average around 21.2 or 21.3 and a max 21.5. Journeying deeper North and West will take you to places such as Kielder, in which SQM readings of 21.6 - 21.7 have been clocked. The Scottish Border region and Northumberland remain quite empty spaces really, a legacy still perhaps of the border reivers. Though even up here there are the threats from development and green belt issues, Ponteland, a village just North of Newcastle, there is a highly controversial go ahead for a new development of 2000 houses - horrendous!

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sounds like us southerners either need a major blackout or a large fuel bill to emulate?! We can match 21.3 skies, but not much more....

well done on snagging the IFN... should be able to nab most of the sharpless objects we have mentioned here... but with the milky way departing and the clocks changed.... time to tend to one's kit and prepare for the autumn!

peter

Yes looking forward to Cygnus already.     

I have recorded very dark results under clouds.... and also with nasty veiling hazy ugh. The Isle of Wight clocks 21.5, but with   Increasing light pollution tonthe north... though everyone seems to be replacing streetlights with better shielded ones.. so there is hope it might improve.

need to factor in the likelyhood of clear skies, which is less for the north and west.

peter

Archived