Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Maxrayne

Greetings from Nottingham

Hello. Had a Skywatcher 120 for a couple of years but not done anything with it. Went out the other night (out of boredom) with the camera and tripod and managed to snag a half decent shot of the Orion Nebula before I had chance to read up properly on settings etc.

So now I'm in the process of cleaning up the scope, and getting it ready to use with a camera (Nikon D5300). Red dot finder needs a new battery which is obviously easy enough to sort. There's a bit of crud on the main mirror, but not anywhere near enough to affect the quantity of light hitting it. 

So my question is; bearing in mind that I'm not home from work until half ten at night, is there much worth going for atm? Really want a shot at Jupiter and Andromeda, as well as another try for Orion.

LRM_EXPORT_20170326_144800.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Max, welcome to SGL :biggrin:

Have you tried clusters? At the moment there's the Pleiades, the Beehive, and the double cluster in Perseus all well worth a go.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to SGL - Sadly the nebula stuff is out of the way for a couple of months and we are entering Galaxy season. You could try M51 - Its quite a size, M101 or M33 are both a nice size, or the Leo Triplet..... Just a few of the top of my head.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

• Like 1

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Jupiter is approaching opposition at the moment and in the SE from about 11 pm. Unfortunately it is rather low in the sky but was looking good last night.

• Like 1

Welcome.

I think you've answered your own question, Max ... you feel an itch.

Have fun scratching ... ?

Edited by Floater
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome ?

The three clusters in Auriga are nice and Coma Berenices hair is very pretty to image.

M13 globular clusters in Hercules is also nice.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Just waiting on finishing work atm then straight out back as soon as I'm home (with a hot coffee!)

Edit: so much for that idea lol (he says glaring at the cloud cover that's come in)

Edited by Maxrayne