Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cone Nebula, Fox Fur and Christmas tree nebulae

carastro

Taken at astro camp in East Sussex on Friday night in strongish wind so am amazed it came out. Was going to add to it on the 2nd night but the wind was even worse and quite honestly unbearable to even sit in. Total 1h 55mins. Very happy with the results considering it was so little data. Just shows what a difference dark skies can make. From my home location it is just awful. 

My first camping trip since my knee fracture. 

5 x 900secs Ha
6 x 300secs binned Sii
2 x 300 secs binned Oiii
Total 1hr 55mins
Atik314L SWED80
HEQ5

N.B. Edited image lower down.

9a3c1f9af7b6f69a3dda60888c54f30f.1824x0_

Thanks Olly and Barry.

I didn't take much Oiii as I had been told there was more Sii in the nebula and I have some data of oiii in a previous image done a few years ago I was going to add to it as luckily the FOV is pretty similar.  However impatience at camp made me want to see how it had come out before I came home to access the other data, so there could be a version 2 if the previous data adds anything to the image.

Carole 

You've picked up some dust lanes that are often not revealed.  Wind can be the moist frustrating thing--you FINALLY get a clear, moonless night....and its windy!  You beat it this night though.

Rodd

That's lovely Carole.  Lots of detaill, and I really like the subtle use of colour.

Last week I tried to do some wide-field with my old DSLR on top of Mount Teide in Tenerife.  The darkest skies I have ever seen - truly breathtaking. But alas it was 0 degrees centigrade and with a wind-chill that was brutally Siberian. After 5 minutes my fingers were numb and I couldn't do a thing without retreating into the car and starting the engine to warm myself up!

Archived