Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spotted the Pup?!

Astro Imp

Went out last night just as it was getting dark with Sirius appearing and used this to fine tune the finder scope. As I upped the EP magnification to about x170 I was gob smacked to see a slight elongation at about about the 12 o'clock position. I observed for quite a while and convinced myself that occasionally there was a definite second star visible. 

I wasn't expecting this and am still not convinced I really saw what I thought I saw, perhaps more experienced observers would like to comment.

BTW the seeing did seem good as Sirius wasn't giving it's usually disco light impression.

I look forward to all comments, negative as well as positive.

Very well done Alan, it is not an easy object and viewing the star at UK values from here I have only split it twice. When it gets high here though I have done it many times. I spent about an hour trying to see it with my piggyback mounted 70mm ED and I would not say for sure but I was half sure I caould see it from time to time. It has been split with 60mm so I have read but that may well be from a location where it get high in the sky. I have just had three nights with stable seeing and Sirius was very still which as you say is rather rare.

alan

Archived