Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't find place to cool telescope

Hello

I just bought a 150/1200 dobsonian and was thinking of observing tonight. My backyard is not telescope compatible by the way so that's why I'm asking. So we have a deck with wooden planks for the floor. Ok, that's good, but we also have a roof on top of the deck which makes it hard to observe stuff. Even when it's highest in the sky, I can't see it. We can go a few steps down to reach the concrete floor in my backyard. As you know, concrete absorbs heat in the day and heats stuff up at night. So that's a no. But I do have half a backyard full of grass. I would observe here but the problem is that there are a million bugs infesting it including crickets, cockroaches and mosquitoes which makes it hard to concentrate on observing. I don't know where to put my telescope. Do I bring a mat to put underneath the telescope so the concrete doesn't heat it up? What do I do?

Eucalyptus

Another problem with a wooden deck is that it will vibrate whenever you move and with a 1200mm focal length the jiggling at the eyepiece will drive you crazy. Concrete is great once it cools down to ambient. Otherwise, use the lawn. The bugs aren't that bad. And mosquitoes will get you wherever you are. If you use insect repellant, be sparing around your face and eyes and use one that doesn't affect plastic or optics so you don't wreck your eyepieces.

I have been observing for forty years. From every surface you can think off. The only thing that will bother you are the clouds and probably the mosquitoes. Put your scope were you can and put some insect replant on and forget about the other stuff.

If i lived in Oz (which i hope to do one day.........maybe when i retire?), the mozzies would be the least of my worries (they dont like my skin/blood type anyway, so they leave me alone). To semi-quote the American author Bill Bryson: "Australia is a beautiful country. The only trouble is that most of the wildlife that lives there will take every opportunity to try and kill you".

Setting up on concrete isnt too bad. Wooden decking isnt ideal because of vibrations. Grass is probably the best.

I observe quite nicely from a gravel drive - could you put down some sort of gluey surface and stick some 'gravelly stones to the surface' - the shiny stones should reflect the sun.  Mind you my first idea was a sheet of foil just like rockystar suggested above.

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

I observe quite nicely from a gravel drive - could you put down some sort of gluey surface and stick some 'gravelly stones to the surface' - the shiny stones should reflect the sun.  Mind you my first idea was a sheet of foil just like rockystar suggested above.

Gravel is also a good surface on which to place a scope. There is usually a fairly solid soil base beneath it so the scope will be grounded and steady. Also, gravel does not retain much heat. After a long day baking in the sun (as if we here in Ireland and the UK know what that is like).......if you pick up a handful of gravel at night........its quite cold. If you dont want real gravel, there are options. As JOC says, you can do it yourself with sheeting,gravel,adhesive etc. You can also buy ready made gravel sheeting.

Spraying the concrete at dusk/evening with water from a garden-hose will hasten cooling. And the use of anti-vibration-pads, homemade from Sorbothane® or ready-made (£$€), will raise the scope above the concrete and help solve any vibration. Also works on wooden surfaces. I use them on my wooden-deck.

Dave

Archived