Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter again

Swoop1

Tonight, my wife and No.1 Son were off at the theatre to see a show and No.2 Son was at the cinema with his girlfriend so, being all alone, I decided to set the scope up in the back garden in a good position for Jupiter. By 20:45 I was set and all the house lights were extinguished. There was light pollution from nearby streetlights and neighbouring security lights but I just got on with it.

I actually think that the light pollution may have improved my viewing of Jupiter as, due to the brightness of the planet, the pollution reduced the dazzle from the target?

Anyway, tonight, I was able to observe the disc split into 7 different shade zones, light at North pole, dark, light, not as dark, light, dark and light at the South pole. 4 moons were also very easy to discern, three to the north east and one to the south west, all on the same plane. I am not sure if I observed a 5th moon much further out. This was on the north eastern side and, when viewing with my stock 10mm super EP from Skywatcher, if Jupiter was at the very edge of the FoV, this possible 5th moon was about 1/5th of the way into the FoV? I would say at least 20 planetary diameters.

I spent a good 40 minutes observing and swapping through the EP's and Barlow for different views. Then Mrs Swoop and No.1 Son returned so they had a look, both spending 10 minutes or so at the EP. Mrs Swoop then came out with a nice cuppa for me.

Just as I was getting set to clear down, No.2 Son returned so he was dragged to the EP for a look!

All family members were rightly impressed with the experience. Another good night.

Good report :icon_biggrin:

The more you observe Jupiter, the more you will see but it sounds as if you are getting some good views now.

Only 4 moons are visible in normal sized amateur scopes though. I expect the "5th" one that you spotted was a background star.

You are right about having some light pollution / twilight helps spot detail on Jupiter. It's sort of the opposite of what you need when you are looking for faint deep sky objects.

Good that you have been able to share the views - my lot somehow found other things to do this evening :rolleyes2:

Yes Jupiter was good tonight. I had some very detailed views through my binoviewers. I saw a feature in the SEB that I haven't seen before - it was like a small GRS but brown rather than red. It had clear light separation from the rest of the SEB. Looking forward to more Jupiter action as the opposition approaches. I haven't seen a shadow transit for a good while so I'm going to aim for one of these of the next week or so.

Took my telescope along to the youth group I run last night, wonderful to share Jupiter with some suitably stunned teenagers !! The seeing was really good. Also horribly light polluted so maybe that did help!! 

Archived