Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter is nice tonight

I don't know if it's just the skies round about me tonight but Jupiter is looking great ..... worth a look if your sitting in the house deciding if it's worthwhile going out or not. Viewable even at x300 mag, the highest I've used on it yet but more comfy at x240 with no atmospheric waves. Worth a look if your sky is anything like mine...... just a wee heads up.....  Scott

It's not looking bad here but not as steady as you have plus a very gusty wind. I'm just using 128x with my ED120. Plenty of disk detail visible when seeing settles. 

It's very calm here John, no wind at all but very cold, not frosty but cold. Been trying to see the red spot but I assume it's not on this side. Great detail though and 4 lovely moons in a horizontal. Smashing sight...... Scott

I've been out for the last 3 hours playing with my new birthday present: ST102 on AZ4 mount with revelation dielectric diagonal. The views I've had have been AMAZING! Probably the best session I've had, found so many new things (new to me at least).

Jupiter peeked over neighbours roof around the back of 10. I had a wee look but could see some shimmering...presume this was a mixture of being low in the sky and quite close to roof. I was going to try and pick out GRS, but couldn't see bands too well (I'm not sure if GRS is visible just now and wasn't sure how to check).

Anyway...just popped out again now that it's higher...all I can say is "OH MY GOD!" such a clear night and bands are so well defined. The detail is like nothing I've seen (in my whole 2 years of astronomy). Managed to push my wee ST102 up to 200x and I was happy with view - some CA but personally for a first view through short frac....I was very pleased.

But sadly...doesn't look like GRS is facing me tonight, or at least I couldn't pick it out. Banding was so clear, I would think I'd be able to see if it was out.

3 minutes ago, Scott Brown said:

It's very calm here John, no wind at all but very cold, not frosty but cold. Been trying to see the red spot but I assume it's not on this side. Great detail though and 4 lovely moons in a horizontal. Smashing sight...... Scott

Hahaha, great minds!

I think the GRS is on the other side at the moment. Sooner or later you will get it though :smiley:

I've packed in for tonight. Too windy and cold !. The seeing was rather "so so" here. There will be better nights, and less windy ones :rolleyes2:

Managed to see quite a few galaxies plus the 2 comets though so not a bad little session.

2 minutes ago, davyludo said:

I've been out for the last 3 hours playing with my new birthday present: ST102 on AZ4 mount with revelation dielectric diagonal. The views I've had have been AMAZING! Probably the best session I've had, found so many new things (new to me at least).

Jupiter peeked over neighbours roof around the back of 10. I had a wee look but could see some shimmering...presume this was a mixture of being low in the sky and quite close to roof. I was going to try and pick out GRS, but couldn't see bands too well (I'm not sure if GRS is visible just now and wasn't sure how to check).

Anyway...just popped out again now that it's higher...all I can say is "OH MY GOD!" such a clear night and bands are so well defined. The detail is like nothing I've seen (in my whole 2 years of astronomy). Managed to push my wee ST102 up to 200x and I was happy with view - some CA but personally for a first view through short frac....I was very pleased.

But sadly...doesn't look like GRS is facing me tonight, or at least I couldn't pick it out. Banding was so clear, I would think I'd be able to see if it was out.

Yeah it was the same for me around 10ish, not too bad but not great either but when i went out again it was great, thats why i pushed x300 but couldnt be bothered moving the scope every 10 seconds so settled at x240 ...... more than happy.

2 minutes ago, John said:

I think the GRS is on the other side at the moment. Sooner or later you will get it though :smiley:

I've packed in for tonight. Too windy and cold !. The seeing was rather "so so" here. There will be better nights, and less windy ones :rolleyes2:

Managed to see quite a few galaxies plus the 2 comets though so not a bad little session.

Brilliant John, comets are a bit out of my league at the moment I wouldnt know where to start. Just Jupiter and M51 for me tonight although might look for the galaxies near Leo. Too good a night to waste...... Scott

2 minutes ago, John said:

I guess I was just asking for too much in one night :tongue2:

I love Jupiter though, so I'll happily revisit time and time again. One day I'll get him!

I've decided to call it a night too. Would love to stay out longer, but I'm shattered and I'm becoming less and less accurate with tracking...just flying about all over the place. Plus it's all of a sudden got REALLY cold here and my muscles are tightening up. Warm cuppa and some SGL for me :headbang:

2 minutes ago, Scott Brown said:

Brilliant John, comets are a bit out of my league at the moment I wouldnt know where to start. Just Jupiter and M51 for me tonight although might look for the galaxies near Leo. Too good a night to waste...... Scott

I tried to pick out the Leo triplet - but I could only just see 1 smudge. I think it was maybe M65...but could be wrong. Couldn't pick out anything else though. Don't know if I have enough aperture for galaxies.

Funny I had first light in my new obsy and what a view. Jupiter was really steady and clear just like others have mentioned above. I took a couple of webcam videos to try to get an image but the seeing got worse, then clouds appeared. Still a great night. Saw M51 too and a cluster near the galaxy which I don't know the name of.

With my ED120 I got the triplet in Leo, plus about 6 galaxies at the front end of the Lion and the brighter ones in Ursa Major. M13 in Hercules and M57 in Lyra plus the "double double" and that was enough for tonight.

The comets are not very spectacular to be honest but I'm trying to keep track of their movement.

33 minutes ago, davyludo said:

... couldn't see bands too well (I'm not sure if GRS is visible just now and wasn't sure how to check).

Sky Safari will show if  the GRS is visible and, using the time controls, when it will be visible. Just zoom in on the planet on screen. Not certain, but I'd be surprised if Stellarium doesn't do similar.

Hope that helps.

21 minutes ago, Floater said:

Sky Safari will show if  the GRS is visible and, using the time controls, when it will be visible. Just zoom in on the planet on screen. Not certain, but I'd be surprised if Stellarium doesn't do similar.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Floater I will d/l that...?. Thanks

22 minutes ago, Floater said:

Hope that helps.

Good to know! I tried to use Stellarium on my phone, it didn't show the GRS on that....but then it wouldn't if it's not visible just now! Guess I'll need to keep an eye on it, because I'd love to see it. And from the clarity of the bands in new scope, I reckon I can do it...on a good night, so maybe some time next year?! Because let's face it....one good day of weather is all you really get in Scotland :rolleyes2:

4 minutes ago, Scott Brown said:

Davyludo...... im scared to go to bed in case I don't get a good night again for ages lol.

That's our year over Scott, pack your kit up you'll have to wait until next March :tongue2:

Tonight has been amazing! Great seeing here, for a change. Crystal clear skies, so nice.

I saw 5 meteors, such a wonderful sight. Jupiter was excellent. Managed a few shots with the bridge camera.

I am hemmed in on all sides with trees but glimpsed Cygnus rising through the branches. 

No more clear nights for a week now according to the weather.

Getting my new scope Monday, so what a surprise :help:

Night all.

8 hours ago, Floater said:

Hope that helps.

I,ll add that skysafari will give you times of eclipses transits shadow transits and GRS transits. Its displayed on the info page for Jupiter at the bottom.

I caught an eclipse of europa and the GRS on Friday night within half an hour of each other.

Its worth the effort to check for these during the day just so you dont miss something or need to plan you evening.

Archived