SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TEC vs Tak

Nice !

I can certainly see the difference between my Tak 100 and my TMB / LZOS 130 so I'm sure you will see one with the 140.

"the difference" between my two is resolution, ease of picking up subtle planetary detail and ease and extent of deep sky objects. With regards to star images and CA control the 2 scopes seem virtually identical ie: textbook star test and no CA at all at focus or either side of focus.

The 130 takes around 30-40 mins to cool wheras the Tak cools in a few minutes. Have to plan ahead a little more with the 130. A gusty wind (as per tonight :rolleyes2:) will knock the 130 about a bit but the Tak seems to remain rock steady.

John, you are spot on! There is a real difference in resolution which is a relief since the TEC is certainly more of a lump. First time I've done a side by side of my scopes.

Cool down of the TEC seems very quick to me. Tonight I was getting sharp images at 150x+ within about 20 mins. I think being oil spaced helps in this regard.

Tonight has also shown me that the porta 2 is on its limit with the 100DF even with the better legs. Using the T-Rex the TEC is rock solid even with a bit of wind.

Yes still got the DL but it's too long to be stable on my porta 2 so using the DF tonight for the comparison. For ease of use the DF is very impressive given its compactness.

I was lucky with the T-Rex, I only got it last summer - must of been one of the last ones. It is brilliant and the slo mo controls give it a real edge imo.

Archived