Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When it's windy, what observatory type is best.

Alan White

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you were all discussing wind-proof designs, but I wonder just how heavy it would be to shift just a single tin sheet on a set of runners up and over?

Even more thoughts for the plan and save stage.

The octagonal domes and flat domes look very interesting, but I am not sure my wood butchery is of a sufficient standard to make one work or look good.  
I am terrible at anything more than basic first fix type butchery.

The comment from Olly about the wind stopping play any way does make a valid point.

hmmmmm.

On 30/03/2017 at 17:43, ollypenrice said:

Clearly a largely closed structure like a dome is best in the wind. However, you can also have a simple rectilinear rotator. Eiither the whole thing can rotate or just the upper part.

This is my favourite structure of this type... Kielder.  

Would love one like this in the garden.  Come to think of it, would ALSO like a garden big enough for it!

AK

IMG_1197.JPG.68dcb96e076d7fb0ea18e40e5047ebc4.JPG

I considered a pig ark when I was thinking about an observatory but had to reject it due to weight and awkwardness.  Went for a roll off roof shed instead.  But I am considering building a small dome for my widefield rig together with DIY fork mount - sometime in the future :D

On 08/04/2017 at 07:32, Alan White said:

The comment from Olly about the wind stopping play any way does make a valid point.

hmmmmm.

experience has shown, locally, that any winds are accompanied by thick cloud ergo very limited visibility of objects about, oh, 5-6 miles :)

70mph+ winds are not uncommon in my locale towards the latter part of the year.

In such conditions I'd opt for a solid sealed unit, reinforced concrete with no moving parts. :)

Multiple sides to ensure smallest surface area exposed to the direct wind, logically, seems the way to go. I expect that a dome, would offer the best (lower) resistance to winds?

Watching with interest as an observatory is in my 2 year plan

On 09/04/2017 at 21:34, iapa said:

experience has shown, locally, that any winds are accompanied by thick cloud ergo very limited visibility of objects about, oh, 5-6 miles :)

70mph+ winds are not uncommon in my locale towards the latter part of the year.

In such conditions I'd opt for a solid sealed unit, reinforced concrete with no moving parts. :)

Multiple sides to ensure smallest surface area exposed to the direct wind, logically, seems the way to go. I expect that a dome, would offer the best (lower) resistance to winds?

Watching with interest as an observatory is in my 2 year plan

My observatory is in a exposed site 1500 feet up in the Cambrian Mountains. So far it has withstood the usual gales, heavy snow, walnut sized hailstones and even a passing 'mini' tornado.

Anticipating a continous battering, the structure was built deliberately strongly, with a heavy sliding roof tied down in multiple places.

The main structure is built of 4x4 timbers and clad in agricultural steel box sheets. It is no conicidence that local farmers use this material for their barns etc.

Dscf6822_1024_zps8eee8e3c.jpg

I have a few low leyllandii trees planted around to give some shelter, but as others have said in very windy conditions I'll find something easier to do than astro imaging!!

Archived