SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking at buying a ZWO ASI224MC

I have recently purchased a Canon 600D and am enjoying using it for full lunar pictures but am now considering the purchase of a ZWO ASI224MC for close up lunar, planetary (I know they are not great for the foreseeable) and for a dabble in DSOs. A review recommended an IR Cut filter, a IR Pass filter and a CH4 Methane pass filter. I cannot afford all at once so what would be best to get first? Any other words of wisdom are as always, very welcome.

Thanks

Not an expert, but I don't think the CH4 filter would be particularly suitable for a colour camera. It picks up at 889nm, which is well outside the visual spectrum, so my guess would be that the bayer matrix would probably block it all out anyway? For the others, I would suggest that the IR block would probably give a more natural-looking result (assuming there isn't one already built into the camera). Again, my thought would be that the IR pass would be more suitable for a monochrome camera (same reason as CH4, but not quite so extreme).

So my first choice for filter with a colour camera would be the IR-block, but others (better qualified) may have differing opinions.

HTH

OK, just seen the response-graph for this camera on FLO website and it seems I was talking rubbish in my previous post - the camera will capture IR & CH4 wavelengths. That said (and possibly even more so because of this), I would still go for the IR-block first, as this will give a more "what the eye sees" result.

This is, of course, assuming that the invisible wavelengths are not your primary interest in taking planetary images.

HTH

Thanks guys, I will look at getting an IR Cut filter first! I see that it says it can be used in conjunction with a UV/IR cut filter for CCD/Digital Camera work! What would be the advantage of two IR Cut filters. I haven't got a fortune to throw at this so trying to make sure I get something that will help viewing and imaging!

Just get the IR cut filter to begin with, you will definitely need it (especially if you use it with your frac) as the 224 doesn't have an IR cut optical window.  IR cut filters also cut UV as well (glass cuts UV light by itself) so don't spend extra on one that advertises IR/UV cut over one that just says it cuts IR.

Thanks again guys, decided to go with the ZWO IR Cut and the 850nm Pass filters. I'll see how I get on with them. If I had gone for the Baader Neodymiun that would have been it, I believe for Lunar close-ups the Pass filter gives sharper results?

Archived