Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lacerta 2" Herschel Wedge

When I had the chance to use the 1.25" Lacerta it was on a 220mm refractor. It did have an ERF fitted but it was a transmission rather than reflection type so the heat attenuation was not a great amount.   :sad:

• Like 1

I'm expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow and am looking forward to first light.

@Solar B I hope that the viewing angle doesn't prove to be an issue, but I do have a Skytee II and pier extension to get some extra height if needed.

Ade

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread but still might be useful. 

I've been looking at this Lacerta Wedge for quite a while and I'm stuck between the 1.25" And 2" Version. 

I'll be using a Celestron Omni XLT 120 with 1000mm focal length. It accepts both 1.25 and 2".

Most of my eyepiece are 1.25".

Now I see it's recommended to go with the 2" For this size aperture. 

Would the 1.25" Version be ok with my scope regards any heating issues etc? 

I suppose I have the option to keep the main lens cap on the scope but removing the smaller central cap which would make the aperture smaller in a way, but I'd rather use the full aperture if I'm honest. 

What are your thoughts please? I'm not wanting to go and buy 2" Eyepieces and contrast filters if I can help it. 

Edited by Portech7
Typo

I have the Skywatcher Evostar 120 which is essentially the same as your Omni 120. I successfully used a 1.25" Lunt wedge with no over heating issues, even on long sessions. The wedge gets warm but not so warm as to be a problem. I switched to the Lacerta about 12 months ago and haven't looked back. Not entirely sure it is measurably better than the Lunt in terms of what I can see or image but it has given me some spectacular views and that's enough to convince me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Portech7 said:

I know this is an older thread but still might be useful. 

I've been looking at this Lacerta Wedge for quite a while and I'm stuck between the 1.25" And 2" Version. 

I'll be using a Celestron Omni XLT 120 with 1000mm focal length. It accepts both 1.25 and 2".

Most of my eyepiece are 1.25".

Now I see it's recommended to go with the 2" For this size aperture. 

Would the 1.25" Version be ok with my scope regards any heating issues etc? 

I suppose I have the option to keep the main lens cap on the scope but removing the smaller central cap which would make the aperture smaller in a way, but I'd rather use the full aperture if I'm honest. 

What are your thoughts please? I'm not wanting to go and buy 2" Eyepieces and contrast filters if I can help it. 

I know the manufacturer advice is often to stick to 100mm aperture but in my experience of a Lunt 1.25” it works perfectly well in a 120mm (120ED in my case) and probably bigger still. The heat sink may get hot on a hot midsummer day, but it is designed to do just that.

You don’t really need 2” eyepieces for solar, a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece will fit the sun in several times over, you are normally using higher powers so 1.25” are fine.

Plenty of chat about it here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John said:

I've used my Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge quite often with my ED120mm refractor and the combination works well and safely.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I know the manufacturer advice is often to stick to 100mm aperture but in my experience of a Lunt 1.25” it works perfectly well in a 120mm (120ED in my case) and probably bigger still. The heat sink may get hot on a hot midsummer day, but it is designed to do just that.

You don’t really need 2” eyepieces for solar, a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece will fit the sun in several times over, you are normally using higher powers so 1.25” are fine.

Plenty of chat about it here:

Like Stu and John, I've frequently used my 1.25" Lunt with my ED120  and whilst the red spot on the back gets hot, that's what it's supposed to do.

I got the 2" Lacerta because I was worried about using a larger Frac but I needn't have worried the 1.25" has seen me ok.

Ade

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Recently got the 2 inch version, it reaches focus with my Skywatcher 120 Pro ED but not enough in focus on my ST120. We're in for trash weather for a while so I'm going to chop an inch off the ST120. I have extenders for other than solar use but to be honest that scope will probably be dedicated to solar.

• Like 1

I had the same issue fitting a Baader Cool 2” wedge to the Genesis OTA.

The clip lock feature added to the back focus needs.

I had to remove the clip lock and use a SCT adaptor to get focus.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Long story but sold the wedge a while ago but ended up getting another one as in this neew thread.

The wedge now comes with a rotation adaptor with a T2 thread so fitted a T2 to 1.25” eyepiece adaptor. Thread shows a 15mm high adaptor with a T2 spacer on the top but you could use a taller T2 to eyepiece adaptor if ypu wanted. One thing  to be aware off is that the wedge requires a lot of inward focus travel on the scope so this will effect how tall an adaptor ypu can use. 

Thanks, I was wondering if the rotator's top thread was T2 because I couldn't find anything about it on Lacerta's site.

Also, I totally missed your newer thread.  Thanks for the pointer.

Edited by Louis D