Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bagged the GRS

After seeing Jupiter for the first time ever a week or so ago, tonight I finally got to see the Great Red Spot! It was after midnight that it started coming into view, and I was up against the clock, but I'm glad I waited for it :D  Extremely happy to say the least. 

40 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

After seeing Jupiter for the first time ever a week or so ago, tonight I finally got to see the Great Red Spot! It was after midnight that it started coming into view, and I was up against the clock, but I'm glad I waited for it :D  Extremely happy to say the least. 

Excellent ! Thanks for the time/obs

and good news also for prediction programs, there was some debate earlier about which one was right, glad to see that StellariumPC was spot on! https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/289579-clear-skies-over-most-of-uk-tonight/?do=findComment&comment=3175460

Thanks peeps. I wasn't sure at first, thinking am I seeing things as my image is upside down and the spot was on the upper mid band and appearing like a lump on the edge of that band, but as my eye became accustomed, it was a definite brighter orangey earthy red than the band. 

I feel that I am rather lucky being a new astronomer to see that so soon in my hobby. 

Jupiter is a propably the most amazing place sometimes its calm and majestic other times its a crazy place with transits eclipses and spots even weather all coming and going. Its always worth checking what will be happening every clear night on some software or astronomy magazine.

Archived