SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iPhone Jupiter 25/03/2017

Daz69

Please bear in mind that this was taken with my iPhone 6 through a barlowed 32mm with a shaky hand :D That's my excuse anyway! I just couldn't get the sweet spot using the 10mm so had to settle for the larger 32mm.

Jupiter2025-03-2017_zpsclj5eqwd.jpg

Daz

20 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

You can turn the exposure time down on the phone so Jupiter isn't so overexposed.

Thanks for that. Any idea how that can be done? I'm useless with tech. My son has to put my music on my phone for me :) 

5 hours ago, Daz69 said:

Thanks for that. Any idea how that can be done? I'm useless with tech. My son has to put my music on my phone for me :) 

When you tap the screen while in camera mode, it focuses and creates a little orange/yellow box. To the right of the box is something that looks like a star, just drag it up or down increase/decrease exposure time by a tiny bit.

There are also little phone adapters so you can attach the phone to the eyepiece. :)

Nice one Daz.

I use an iPhone 6 with the app ProCam 4. This allows you to control focus and exposure very well. Reducing exposure is what will allow the detail to come through.

This one was taken in that way, hand held at the eyepiece. A higher power eyepiece will also help bring the glare down a bit.

IMG_2951.JPG

On 27/03/2017 at 21:20, Stu said:

Nice one Daz.

I use an iPhone 6 with the app ProCam 4. This allows you to control focus and exposure very well. Reducing exposure is what will allow the detail to come through.

This one was taken in that way, hand held at the eyepiece. A higher power eyepiece will also help bring the glare down a bit.

IMG_2951.JPG

That was on your phone? Wow! I was told of a holder for the phone to hold it at the eyepiece he other week, so I'll order one. 

I think because I was hand-held, I had no choice but to use the 32mm because I couldn't find the sweet spot, so my question now is, with a phone holder, would I then be able to use the 10mm and perhaps even use the barlow as well?

1 hour ago, Daz69 said:

That was on your phone? Wow! I was told of a holder for the phone to hold it at the eyepiece he other week, so I'll order one. 

I think because I was hand-held, I had no choice but to use the 32mm because I couldn't find the sweet spot, so my question now is, with a phone holder, would I then be able to use the 10mm and perhaps even use the barlow as well?

If I remember correctly that one was handheld rather than using a holder. My problem is that mine is an iPhone 6 Plus which can be a bit of a lump when connected to the scope and upsets the balance. The trick is to hold the camera at the correct distance from the exit lens of the eyepiece to match the eye relief. The 32mm Plossl has long eye relief so you need to be a little way off to capture the image. I tend to brace my finger against the eyepiece to get the position correct. holder can definitely help though if you find it too difficult to get setup correctly.

Take plenty of shots too and pick the best!

Archived