Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bagging Jupiter

Swoop1

Tonights mission was to try and observe Jupiter. 

I loaded up the car and struck out for Cookham Dean Common at about 22:10 and was on site by 22:30. I took my binoculars with me to see how they performed against my chosen target so deployed them first, aiming at what I thought was Jupiter. It appeared that I was correct as I was met by a reasonable disc with 3 barely visible pinpricks of light adjacent which I hoped were some of the moons.

I then deployed the scope and set up with the 10mm eyepiece. I aligned using there finder scope and checked through the EP expecting to see a nice disc and maybe easily identifiable moons. Boy was I disappointed! No disc, no moons..... This can't be right I thought so returned to the finder scope. It turned out that the contortions I had to go through to view through the finder resulted in me having the scope aimed and a star! A quick adjustment and back the the EP. By Jove, I had it! (Did you see what I did there?) There was Jupiter in all its glory. I had a nice disc which, as my eye adjusted to the light, was showing 2 darker bands easily discernible. Of the moons, there was one very close in, with a second a little further out and on a slightly different plane? What I think was a third moon was on the opposing side of the disc. I am not sure but I may have observed a 4th moon, on the same side of the disc as the first two moons but much at a much further distance.

I was captivated. I spent the next 30 minutes or so observing using various combinations of 10mm, 25mm an 2X Barlow. I also included an ND filter to see if this helped with definition. 

It is clear to me why Jupiter is the favourite planet for many. I will be returning to it in the future without a doubt.

I dragged my gear out last night for a look @ Jupiter. Only just make out the bands. U seem to have a lot better luck than me .

I can now see Y people give up with this hobby. As U say , the 4th  moon , was way out. Jupiter was a lot better

than this last year. :happy9: Good report.

Archived