Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - result

Ger

Tonight I had my first decent look at Jupiter which is obviously easy to find and I was thrilled when I was able pick out not only the four moons but the north and south eq. belts. 

Also, this might be a rookie error but as I wanted to see Jupiter tonight I went out a few hours later and I was struck by how many stars I could instantly see, if I went out a couple of hours earlier it would have taken up to an hour to see a similar number of stars... Would that be the affect of the cooler temperatures 

Glad you enjoyed your first proper look at Jupiter :)

There are several factors which can affect the amount of stars visible in any one location. Cooler temperatures sometimes coincide with clearer skies, but not always. Amount of cloud cover, light pollution, atmospheric particles and humidity levels also play a large part. My favourite time to observe is the night after a day of heavy rain, it always seems that bit clearer to me :) 

Archived