Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 with 10" Quattro

Singlin

13 subs of 180 sec in L,R,G and B with:

Skywatcher Quattro 10"

Atik 383L

Mesu 200

I used some data I found on my pc from this Summer which I discarded because the flats were not finished for that session and the data on two nights varied considerably. I decided to pick the best bits and some of the flats did not correspond to the camera position of some of the lights. I suppose it is better than throwing away the data.

Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.

M51 _finished1.jpg

Amazing detail there!

Looks like you got high quality data even if it is only 13 subs. Personally I would darken the sky a bit and maybe bring out a bit more colour, but that is just me.

I have a 150mm F4  (Orion VX)  and its great.  I can see the appeal of the longer FL and light grasp.   That is a spectacular image.  Shame my HEQ5 would grind a bit under the payload.

How much does it weigh ??   Is it a Carbon Fibre special ??

Sean.

It was a Steel tube but I was getting too much flexure and have a custom carbon fibre tube now,not the stock carbon fibre tube.

A Heq 5 will not cope with the weight of this scope and camera gear.

Here is another tweak for Goran.

M51 _combiined_colour saturated.jpg

M51 _combiined_colour saturated.jpg

Lovely M51 Singlin.  I would be tempted to add to this data to help with the colour as you have captured some fine detail, background looks flat too.

The zoomed version has a red gradient to the background however and if you could correct that, it will really improve the presentation.

Great image, Singlin. I was trying to identify the edge on galaxy to the bottom left of the companion galaxy on your zoomed in image, but there is another one visible to the top left also!

Here .

IC 4278 is bout 230 million light years away but can't seem to find the distance of IC 4277.

Monday and Tuesday is looking good for the opportunity to get some more data.

M51 _zoomed 2_with Markers.jpg

I, too, think you should go for more data because it is an image that could really work at a very high level. You've a bit of a green thing going on with some stars, more obviously in the wide field. Shoudn't be hard to fix. I'd be reluctant to push the colour harder from this data but with more data I'd certainly try. 

You already have the main extensions showing so getting more out of them would be easy enough and your core resolution is super.

Olly

3 hours ago, Singlin said:

Fingers crossed for tommorow and Tuesday evening.

I will try a 20min sub and @ f3.8 and 10" should be enough, I am a bit afraid of blowing the core out.

Good luck for the next nights, it certainly looks like you have a winner there!

4 hours ago, Singlin said:

Fingers crossed for tommorow and Tuesday evening.

I will try a 20min sub and @ f3.8 and 10" should be enough, I am a bit afraid of blowing the core out.

You already have the core. If the long subs blow it out, who cares? Keep the core you have. The big deal is to catch those vast but faint extensions! Go for it.

Olly

Well I have aquired some more data for my M51 and used Harry's pixinsight video tutorial.

I do not like it at all and I think everything started to be over processed when I did the HDRMultiscaletransform.

THe colour is strange too, even after a colour calibration. I took 3x 1200 sec subs in R,G and B.

M51 Pix2.jpg

I have gone through my red data and the first 20min sub is contaminated with a huge amount light solution from a clients bathroom light left on.This left a huge gradient on my Red master file. THe other two are good.

Over processed for my taste Slinging,  but that's only my view. I am currently imaging M51 and I am also obtaining Ha data to bring a little more red detail to the image. Your earlier images are fabulous for such short data. I wish my skies were so clear.

Steve

Archived