SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Poorly Skytee II Mount

johninderby

Just took my Skytee II mount out of storage, where it's been since I moved, and did a test set-up to see if everything was OK only to notice the scope start to tilt sideways but managed to grab it before it could fall. Thought at first I hadn't tightened the locking knobs on the dovetail saddle only to realize that part of the mount was still attached to the scope. The arm of the mount had sheared right off. :cussing:

Never heard of this happening on one of these mounts before. The mount has seen a fair bit of use over the years and had a few heavy OTAs mounted on it. If you've got one of these mounts might be worth checking to see that yours hasn't started to crack where mine has. Replacement mount ordered and I'll transfer the ADM saddles etc. over to the new mount.

John

Poorly-Skytee-1.jpg.2c2665bc615b4506997eb745143c31ff.jpg

Poorly-Skytee-2.jpg.898b0678ab2b18a7543289ac06afdc67.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replacement arrived litteraly two minutes ago.  I'm thinking the mount got dropped during the move. But anyway will get the new mount set up this aft.

Nothing heavy just an Orion 120 short tube frac. My new white light solar set-up.

John

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It's been stored in the loft since last spring. Strange one I admit.

Very ! Not as though your loft was in the antarctic !

Not a post to press the "Like" button on, but I do like your warning, just did a quick search on "Skytee" and there are a lot about on the forum. :eek:

I've just experienced something a little like that. I managed to drop my Skytee II a short distance (about 1 foot) onto thick carpet. The C/W bar was in the down position (rather than stuck out the side) and took the fall. The shaft holder snapped straight off !. The metal used seems really brittle and rather fragile. I'm going to stick with my Ercole from now on. I'll strip the bits from the ST II and re-use them but I'm not happy to use the mount with my heavier scopes now so I'll probably mothball or ditch it.

13 minutes ago, John said:

I've just experienced something a little like that. I managed to drop my Skytee II a short distance (about 1 foot) onto thick carpet. The C/W bar was in the down position (rather than stuck out the side) and took the fall. The shaft holder snapped straight off !. The metal used seems really brittle and rather fragile. I'm going to stick with my Ercole from now on. I'll strip the bits from the ST II and re-use them but I'm not happy to use the mount with my heavier scopes now so I'll probably mothball or ditch it.

Wont hit the like button, thats bad luck, seems the skytee is a bit fragile, i think even if the Giro fell of a cliff it would survive 

2 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Wont hit the like button, thats bad luck, seems the skytee is a bit fragile, i think even if the Giro fell of a cliff it would survive 

The Giro's are really well made :icon_biggrin:

I've always liked the concept of the Skytee II but I've not had much luck with the ones that I've actually owned :dontknow:

Had a Giro mount but got rid of it because it didn't have slo-mo knobs. Shame as it was a good mount otherwise. The Skytee shares a lot of it's parts (particularly internal)  with the EQ5 so might problems be lurking with the EQ5?

This is what I'd go for if it wasn't so expensive.

http://www.kkohki.com/English/T-REXmount.html

The replacement Skytee II won't be used for heavy OTAs anyway.

John

Skytee-Orion.jpg

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Wont hit the like button, thats bad luck

You make your own luck! Stuff just happens, like a broken SkyTee II...you make your luck by catching the OTA before it hits the planet. Regardless, a good post is a good post. :happy11:

Archived