Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

March 23-24, 2017: Of comets, galaxies, globulars, and a planet

Had a great time outside last night. I started out hunting comet 41/P Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak with 15x70 bins, as the Celestron C8 was cooling down outside. I managed quite quickly to spot it, after first testing the skies on M51, M81 and M82. I could later repeat the catch of the comet in the 14x70 finder. The C8 with Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" showed a much clearer picture, although the comet is pretty diffuse. Comet number 16 bagged! I then moved to M51, always a nice sight, and the Leo Triplet M65, M66 and NGC 3628. The former were easy, the latter was quite difficult under the very slightly hazy conditions. I then went inside a while to wait for Jupiter to rise above the trees behind the house, and did a long imaging run (1 hour and 15 minutes) on Jupiter (details here and here). I set Autostakkert to work on the data, removed the camera from the scope, and put in the 31T5 again. I swung over to Hercules, where M92 first popped into the FOV of the 14x70 finder, and I spent some time admiring it through the main scope. M13 is always a must, and it didn't disappoint this time either. I then focused on the main reason for moving to Hercules: Comet C/2015 V2 (Johnson). After a short star hop I found the correct location, and almost immediately an elongated blotch could be spotted, much more compact than 41/P. With comet number 17 in the bag I decided to call it a night.

39 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Had a great time outside last night. I started out hunting comet 41/P Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak with 15x70 bins, as the Celestron C8 was cooling down outside. I managed quite quickly to spot it, after first testing the skies on M51, M81 and M82. I could later repeat the catch of the comet in the 14x70 finder. The C8 with Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" showed a much clearer picture, although the comet is pretty diffuse. Comet number 16 bagged! I then moved to M51, always a nice sight, and the Leo Triplet M65, M66 and NGC 3628. The former were easy, the latter was quite difficult under the very slightly hazy conditions. I then went inside a while to wait for Jupiter to rise above the trees behind the house, and did a long imaging run (1 hour and 15 minutes) on Jupiter (details here and here). I set Autostakkert to work on the data, removed the camera from the scope, and put in the 31T5 again. I swung over to Hercules, where M92 first popped into the FOV of the 14x70 finder, and I spent some time admiring it through the main scope. M13 is always a must, and it didn't disappoint this time either. I then focused on the main reason for moving to Hercules: Comet C/2015 V2 (Johnson). After a short star hop I found the correct location, and almost immediately an elongated blotch could be spotted, much more compact than 41/P. With comet number 17 in the bag I decided to call it a night.

Sounds like a great haul Michael, especially the two comets seen. :) I looked for 41/P with my scope last night, but never saw it. Conditions were too hazy to allow it to be seen I think. Didn't try with any of my binos though, and now kicking myself for not even thinking of getting them out. Will try again tonight for it if the forecasted clear skies return.  

15 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Sounds like a great haul Michael, especially the two comets seen. :) I looked for 41/P with my scope last night, but never saw it. Conditions were too hazy to allow it to be seen I think. Didn't try with any of my binos though, and now kicking myself for not even thinking of getting them out. Will try again tonight for it if the forecasted clear slies return.  

Cheers, Gus! It was a lot harder in binoculars than in the 8" scope. I tried two nights ago under slightly hazy conditions, and failed miserably with the bins. Hope you get a chance under good skies soon

Nice one Michael. Sounds a great session! Appreciate you mentioning C/2015 V2 Johnson, as I wasn't aware of this one - looks like it'll be worth a go! I was in Hercules last night for the first time this year - a very welcome return for M13.

Archived