SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

41p/tuttle and friends.

hi everyone,

I don't post very often ,managed to get a few frs of 41/p Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresek  in the early hours of 23-3-17. also showing M108  the surfboard galaxy

and M97 the owl nebula.  telescope Wo Star71 camra Zwo Asi1600mc. lights 22x120s with darks. I hope you all like it. all comments welcome.

bob.

22-FRS-copy.gif

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Nice capture of all three. Is that a mono camera?

no happy-kat it is the color cooled cam. I am not very good with the prosessing side,still a lot to learn. it might be settings in dss as well .I know I am not geting

much color in all my photo's but don't no what to do . thank you for your comment.

If you were able to take some flats that would help with any vignetting. I don't have anything posh I use a cheat and my 7 inch android tablet running the app lightbox to take my flats.

The owl is very owl it's staring straight back at you when looking close, spooky. Hopefully we can all have another go on the comet tonight and tomorrow weather looks promising.

38 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you were able to take some flats that would help with any vignetting. I don't have anything posh I use a cheat and my 7 inch android tablet running the app lightbox to take my flats.

The owl is very owl it's staring straight back at you when looking close, spooky. Hopefully we can all have another go on the comet tonight and tomorrow weather looks promising.

yes it does not hapen very often with back to back nights in this country. good luck with your seeing.

I like that - very nice grouping, wish I'd spotted it!

Funny thing Stellarium had it in quite a different location. I did some kind of update (pressed random buttons in the configuration area) and then it looked OK. Glad I did cos I hope to image it at some point, skies permitting.

2 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

I like that - very nice grouping, wish I'd spotted it!

Funny thing Stellarium had it in quite a different location. I did some kind of update (pressed random buttons in the configuration area) and then it looked OK. Glad I did cos I hope to image it at some point, skies permitting.

hi tom,  stellarium  was way out for me allso.how I found it was by going to m108 and bingo it was in the frame. do you remember what you did to find it has I would like to image it again aswell.strange thing is some comets seem to be somewhere in the frame, like Johnson for instance or was I lucky with that one.

cheers bob.

1 hour ago, bob-c said:

hi tom,  stellarium  was way out for me allso.how I found it was by going to m108 and bingo it was in the frame. do you remember what you did to find it has I would like to image it again aswell.strange thing is some comets seem to be somewhere in the frame, like Johnson for instance or was I lucky with that one.

cheers bob.

Hi Bob

To correct the position of 41P in Stellarium 15.0 I went to: tools, plugins, solar system editor, hit configure button, solar system tab, import orbital elements in MPC format button, the online search tab,  type 41P/ into the search box, hit return, then assuming it finds it check the update exissting objects box and check the found 41P Tuttle line, then the bottom "add objects" button. And that seemed to do it. There might be an easier way!

Good luck!

14 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Hi Bob

To correct the position of 41P in Stellarium 15.0 I went to: tools, plugins, solar system editor, hit configure button, solar system tab, import orbital elements in MPC format button, the online search tab,  type 41P/ into the search box, hit return, then assuming it finds it check the update exissting objects box and check the found 41P Tuttle line, then the bottom "add objects" button. And that seemed to do it. There might be an easier way!

Good luck!

thanks tom, I will give this a try.

bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Great catch there!

Another way of finding it would be this site:

https://theskylive.com/41p-info

There is a table there for where it will be the next days and you can click on the "Online Planetarium" to get a more precise location.

I may give it a try in the weekend (weather and moon permitting) and aim at getting it while it is close to some well known galaxies or nebulas, as you managed to do so excellently, since just an image of the comet and a few stars may not be very interesting.

Just noticed that you have a very odd banding patterns (both horizontal and vertical) that I never seen before. Any idea what that is (I have been thinking of getting one of those cameras but .....)

10 hours ago, gorann said:

Just noticed that you have a very odd banding patterns (both horizontal and vertical) that I never seen before. Any idea what that is (I have been thinking of getting one of those cameras but .....)

yes i have seen it aswell goran,i have not figured it out yet but i believe it may be  something to do with bayer settings in dss.THE MORE MAGNIFICATION  THE WORSE IT GETS. i do not get this pattern with my DSLR.

On 3/27/2017 at 23:51, Tommohawk said:

Hi Bob

Good luck!

cheers tom for the info,did what you said and it has worked,thanks very mutch mate.

Archived