Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter issue's

Hi

Could anyone please give me some advice on why I'm seeing a blurry/washy Jupiter, I'm using my SW200 and all I can see is a very washy and blurred image, it looks like I'm looking at it through water.  I tried it with my BST EP's- 8mm 12mm 18mm and they all did they same. Is it just a bad night for viewing or is there an issue with the scope? I let it cool down probably half hour before I even used it. there was a touch of wind and I thought it could possibly be that messing with the air flow around my scope?

Gary

I was looking at Jupiter about an hour back with my Takahashi 100 refractor. At 129x the planet was not particularly well defined tonight. Normally the scope provides fine images of the planet at 200x or more. I've concluded that the seeing conditions are not good tonight.

Probably not your scope, eyepiece or you - it's the seeing conditions !

Hi Gary,

Seeing might be a factor but make sure that your scope is collimated... when my scope is out of collimation, than I get the "looking through water" shimmer effect on planets.. a collimation tweak and I get awesome, detailed views if the seeing permits. Also if possible try to get a Neodymium filter... I use Baader Moon & Skyglow.. it's amazing the difference it makes.

MG

7 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Hi Gary,

Seeing might be a factor but make sure that your scope is collimated... when my scope is out of collimation, than I get the "looking through water" shimmer effect on planets.. a collimation tweak and I get awesome, detailed views if the seeing permits. Also if possible try to get a Neodymium filter... I use Baader Moon & Skyglow.. it's amazing the difference it makes.

MG

Cheers for that, i never checked the collimation so i hope its that. And I'm going to give those filters a look at right now. ?

Before I observe I nearly always find a bright star and do a quick star test racking the focuser in and out. As much to see if anything has chnged with the telescopes optics and what the seeing is like. You will also be able to see the difraction pattern wavering about as a result of turbulence which will tell you something about your views. Its good practice and only takes a minute or two. It doesn't have to stop you observing but you might think I will come back to the high power stuff half an hour to see if things have improved.

• 4 weeks later...

I rushed to cool my scope other night using a PC fan and a 9V PP3 battery. The fan was placed aside the  secondary spider with the scope sitting horizontal.
It possible to see the cooling effect and the reduction of the thermals over time, but sufficient cooling is key to better results. The fan/battery is removed before using the scope!

Seeing, setup and  collimation are other factors to overcome, and even when you think you can't do anything else, there's still  often an issue?  but then for a few fleeting moments, Jupiter presents in all its glory, a moment you will  treasure  :happy9:

Archived