SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Owl, Surfboard & Comet 41P

Uranium235

Not a serious project by any means, I didnt want to disturb the way the CCD had been set up with the f2 lens so I thought I would bung the 1000d on the Star71 for a bit of a mess around.

While looking at stellarium, I noticed that comet 41P Tuttle-Giacobini was in a nice spot so I captured an hours worth of subs on it. I havent stacked on the comet so its smudged it out a bit, but even in the single subs its just a bit of a blob so youre not missing much.

Currently thinking whether to bother setting up tonight, its clear but not a perfect sky.... and I've already got two back to back sessions planned at the dark site this coming weekend.... we shall see if I cave in or not :)

10x300 ISO800 - no calibration whatsoever

Canon 1000d, NEQ6, Star71

32767746354_32566db1a2_k.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Davey-T said:

Good catch Rob, I tried to get them using SCT but they wouldn't fit in the FOV even though they did on Stellium ?

Dave

Did you set stellarium up correctly? (ie: not accounted for a reducer?)

5 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Did you set stellarium up correctly? (ie: not accounted for a reducer?)

Think so SCT+ 6.3 F/R Canon 60Da, if I did GoTo to M108 it only moved a fraction so not far out, got enough frames to make an animated GIF as it was moving quite quickly but not processed them yet.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks Michael, I took another look on Stellarium this evening to see where it was.... its surprising just how much its moved.

It is moving at quite a clip. Spotted it myself for the first time just now. Not the easiest of targets in the 15x70s. Still, comet number 16 bagged

58 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

.... and I've already got two back to back sessions planned at the dark site this coming weekend.... we shall see if I cave in or not :)

Hope the weather holds- I'm also heading out West tomorrow morning with a bit of astro imaging in mind!

28 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Stellarium is telling me the comet passes them miles away!

Presumably I need to download a more accurate track - how?

That was last night mate, i think now its somewhere down near the Virgo cluster... its shifting at quite a pace.

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not quite that fast it seems.

According to Sky and Telescope it's in the square of Ursa Major, while Stellarium has it following a much different track well to the west.

41P-March-April-path.jpg

Stellarium laptop version co -ords have been spot on so far, so has Sky Safari.

Stellarium phone is miles out.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Stellarium laptop version co -ords have been spot on so far, so has Sky Safari.

Stellarium phone is miles out.

Dave

My desktop version shows it half way between UMa and 18 if it was on the above map, rather than in the 'square'.

6 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I like that - almost makes me want a OSC camera because every time I've done a comet with a mono camera it's never turned out well :)  You seem to have a few red spots though!

ChrisH

Yea, thats probably down to me doing zero calibration and pretty minimal tidying up work. Should have been a bit more thorough, but it was just a quick blast anyways :)

Archived