SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar Imaging Book?

Alfian

I have been fortunate to have been given some Amazon vouchers and anticipating a tentative foray into imaging,  I thought Lunar imaging would be good. I love visual  Luna observation anyway so it makes sense. Looking around for a book or two to help out I came across this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1107548446/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Has anyone got this who could comment on how good/useful it is?

I'd also looked at this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3319098306/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AEXWAW7MCBU5W

Given I'll be using a DSLR and a non tracking mount (short exposures?) the description of this book seemed to fit. Again, anybody have any comments.

Hi Jules, maybe not. I'm not not new to photography, I've had a few SLRs over the years and I am aware and grateful of the very helpful community we have. I suppose I'm just a bit of a book type that likes to read up!

Hi Ian, all well I hope..?

Just wanted to say I picked up a reference book.. Budget Astrophotography with a DSLR as part of the SPM series like your first link.. If im honest a found 2 chapters interesting, and that was on the image processing side.

Unlike you, I'd never owned a DSLR/SLR before I started my Lunar Photography escapades and I was seriously daunted by the prospect of sticking a DSLR on the back of the Starwave, but if i'm honest I've not found the process too difficult, with the help of the on line tutorials you can get for PiPP and Registax (other stacking software is available).  The worst part I've found is the patience through the processing stage.. lots of data and a slow PC makes for some late nights!

Id say, if you've used DSLR/SLR in manual mode before, then you'd be a step ahead on exposures and the like, keep the ISO low and adjust the exposure to suit, I've ranged from 1/200 to 1/40 and not been over or under.. with digital you just experiment until you get what you want, no pesky film costs!

Plenty of help on the forum..

If you want to borrow the DSLR AP book, give us a nod, I can post it out to you..

Ta

Fozzie

Actually.. I've just been impulsive and bought "Shoot the Moon", so i'll let you know what I make off it... Don't anyone tell the wife I can be impulsive, she likes to think i'm a bit dull and predictable!

Hi Fozzie, thank you so much for the info and kind offer. I'll be interested to see what "Shoot the Moon" is like as I came close to hitting the button on that one. I'll hang fire on the loan of the Budget Astrophotography for the moment, though I might take you up on it at some point. I'm ashamed to say I've not played much with the camera so far. Once I've familiarised myself with most of its bells and whistles I'll probably feel more inclined to have a go and experiment.  Its been a dire week or so for multiple reasons, none of which are dreadful (now) but there is a feeling of being got at! Even today the car failed its MOT big style! However, its clear blue skies here right now  which I did not expect so I might get  a chance to get out for a spell later. Not building my hope up but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2017 at 15:49, Fozzie said:

Actually.. I've just been impulsive and bought "Shoot the Moon", so i'll let you know what I make off it... Don't anyone tell the wife I can be impulsive, she likes to think i'm a bit dull and predictable!

Fozzie, have you had chance to form an opinion on "Shoot the moon"?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian.. I've had a quick read through, and can give you some first impressions of the book.. been busy lately with our wedding so hardly had time to think recently..

The book is very comprehensive, takes from even before you buy a scope.. to mount options, camera options, taking photos videos, types of processing, using achros and removing ca from images even a chapter on flocking scopes and collomation

It is essentially a university text book very detailed and informative.. it might just be too detailed in all aspects of the subject.. 

It is very well written though, but don't try and read it with any distractions around.. you'll probably forget it all..

I've found it useful but a lot if it would be basic knowledge for those already shoot f the moon.. (probably the first half the book)

I'll report back if I get to the end of it!

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Fozzie, thanks for that and congratulations on your wedding, some things do have to take priority! "Shoot the moon" sounds interesting and should be  interesting to hear of  your conclusions if you manage to get through it. I've managed to pick up a second hand copy of "Digital SLR Astrophotography" by Michael A. Covington and although I think its considered a fairly basic AP book a  quick peruse is enough for me to know that there is plenty here to get my teeth into.

• 4 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:04, Fozzie said:

Hi Ian.. I've had a quick read through, and can give you some first impressions of the book.. been busy lately with our wedding so hardly had time to think recently..

The book is very comprehensive, takes from even before you buy a scope.. to mount options, camera options, taking photos videos, types of processing, using achros and removing ca from images even a chapter on flocking scopes and collomation

It is essentially a university text book very detailed and informative.. it might just be too detailed in all aspects of the subject.. 

It is very well written though, but don't try and read it with any distractions around.. you'll probably forget it all..

I've found it useful but a lot if it would be basic knowledge for those already shoot f the moon.. (probably the first half the book)

I'll report back if I get to the end of it!

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Fozzie

Can I ask you for your thoughts on ‘Shoot the Moon’ please?

Basically, I’m interested in doing high-resolution lunar images and mosaics, and I’m already at the point of being able to produce decent results (see link below), but I’m on the lookout for a really detailed book on capture & processing (e.g something akin to the new PixInsight book, only for the moon). Do you think ‘Shoot the Moon’ would be of any use to me? Most likely the first half of the book might not be of much use, but does it contain any detailed processing guides or workflows, such as those found in books such as The Deep Sky Imaging Primer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ciarán. 

I'll struggle to answer that question if i'm honest as I have not read or even seen any of the other text you have quoted. 

There is very detailed accounts of processing techniques later in the book, however the front part is dedicated to explaining equipment set up and the like which might be just a tad beneath what you are looking for.  (it was for me)  but the capture and processing stages were quite informative.

If theres anything specifically you want me to check out in the book, give us a shout.. happy to let you know,

Thanks

Fozzie

Archived