Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Review: Helios LightQuest-HR 25x100

My review of the Helios LightQuest-HR 25x100 is now posted: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_reviews.php

TL;DNR: Another very nice bino - I had enormous fun with this. Darn good VFM, I think.

It's been a great pleasure to be able to get my grubbies on this range of binoculars to review; thanks to Steve @FLO/The Binocular Shop for making this possible.

Thanks Steve :) what stunning bins these look to be! My fav two from your reports would be the 16x70 and 25x100's, the 70's for their practical size and image quality with them being f/5, and the big 100mm ones for how you describe the wonders they reveal. 

Your words about mounting these monsters takes me back to using a pair of BA8 28x110mm, my word I was out my depth with the horizon tripod I had!

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

Thanks Steve, yet another great review of a binocular that obviously lived up to its promise. We are so spoiled for choice of equipment these days.

We are indeed, but I was looking at the United Optics site earlier today. Several old familiar faces are no longer there, and there is precious little detail on the new lines (e.g. the "MS" range which appears to be the Lunt/LightQuest/APM-ED range.)

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

Thanks Steve :) what stunning bins these look to be! My fav two from your reports would be the 16x70 and 25x100's, the 70's for their practical size and image quality with them being f/5, and the big 100mm ones for how you describe the wonders they reveal. 

Your words about mounting these monsters takes me back to using a pair of BA8 28x110mm, my word I was out my depth with the horizon tripod I had!

Yes, they would be my choices as well, for the same reasons. That said, I doubt anyone would be disappointed with any of them although, as I think I wrote in one of the reviews, you pay a lot of money for not-so-big improvements at that end of the market. I might write a little comparison piece some time, but I have three interesting offerings from Vixen (go on, guess! :icon_biggrin:) and Opticron to test and review in the pipeline.

Hmm. I always had an eye on the Helios Apollo 20 or 28x110s as something that I'd like to own but couldn't really justify the expense of. The LightQuest would certainly be a contender if I ever found myself going down that road, not least because I'm sure it would sit happily on my Manfrotto 475/502 combination - I've tried the 5 kg Apollo 22x85s on it, and it's completely solid for my liking. I'm not entirely sure the same would be true of the 110s though.

38 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

I have three interesting offerings from Vixen (go on, guess! :icon_biggrin:) and Opticron to test and review in the pipeline.

Vixen ARK's? is my only confident guess, not sure what the others could be :icon_scratch: 

Thank you Steve! That was an excellent review. These Helios LightQuest binoculars are very interesting! I'll ask my local dealer to read your reviews and maybe get a few of the LightQuests in stock because you've got me very curious about them.

Archived