Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from NZ

thebionn

Hi all

New-ish to the forums, recently gifted an 8" Dobsonian as an early birthday present so I'm new to the scoping aspect but lifelong (unaided) stargazer.

I'll be back with loads more questions once I get the hang of it. Set it up the other night and saw Jupiter with its 4 Gallilean moons, absolutely amazing.

Bye bye for now.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, I can only imagine the awesomeness of the skies where you are. Its a great regret of mine that I spent almost a month in the southern hemisphere years ago and never once looked up at the stars. With flight prices as they are and family commitments its going to be a long time before I get another chance.

Thanks everyone!

Clear skies last night, had my first encounter with dropping temperatures causing condensation on the lens. Welcome to dew point. 

Even in the suburbs, the stargazing potential is high here, with the milky way clearly visible to the naked eye. Jupiter the only planet visible, the others are all hiding under the horizon. For now. 

Still coming to terms with everything being upside down, as I'm originally from Ireland (Hi Uhwaz!). Orion is the wrong way round, and don't get me started with the man on the moon. 

21 minutes ago, thebionn said:

Thanks everyone!

Clear skies last night, had my first encounter with dropping temperatures causing condensation on the lens. Welcome to dew point. 

Even in the suburbs, the stargazing potential is high here, with the milky way clearly visible to the naked eye. Jupiter the only planet visible, the others are all hiding under the horizon. For now. 

Still coming to terms with everything being upside down, as I'm originally from Ireland (Hi Uhwaz!). Orion is the wrong way round, and don't get me started with the man on the moon. 

I found when I was in Australia that north felt like south and vice versa for quite a while. Was just adjusting when it was time to go home. This wasn't something I was picking up from the night sky as I really didn't see much of it so not sure what it was. I know when I was in Sydney North Sydney always felt like it was south of the bridge to me. Might be because I grew up close to the south coast and therefore beaches were always due south for me...

11 minutes ago, kiloran said:

I found when I was in Australia that north felt like south and vice versa for quite a while.

Probably because mid-day sun is north here and not south, that's bloody confusing too!

Hi there and greetings and welcome. 

I hope you are enjoying the Hutt. Plenty of clubs and observatories available to you from there. If you can get over the hill to carterton there is the Phoenix astronomical society and they have great meetings and weekends etc. 

Enjoy the lovely clear skies....I am in the central hawkes bay and love the clarity and seeing.

Cheers for now,

Andy.

Thanks Andy. I plan on getting along to one of the meets at Carter Observatory, I'll keep an eye out for the one in Carterton too but it's a bit of a drive. Could be a good excuse for an overnight stay over the hills, Wairarapa is a lovely area. 

Archived