Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing the coma virgo cluster

astronymonkey

Hi All,

Im off to Kieder this weekend with my 16inch in tow with a plan to have a good look around the coma virgo cluster. Does anyone have any particular hints and tips especially with regard to the FOV to be using to get the most from a good observing session on this large range of galaxies.

I also dont want to miss any other things that might be lurking in this patch which arnt galaxies but are worth a look .... the more obscure the better !

And finally, what sort of galaxy count should I be aiming for 5, 10, 15 .... more ?

Cheers

Is that the cluster at the rear end of Leo ?

If it is then in 8x42 binoculars I can see around 15-20, agreed all tiny disks but definitly not points. So in a 16" I have guess you will lose count.

There are a lot of galaxies. In practice, the main issue is working out which fuzzy is which. Getting into the cluster at a known point is essential. Then just galaxy hop from there. I find that 24 Comae Berenices is a good starting point. It is a prominent double. So you know that you have the right Star!

The Markarian chain is a particular highlight.

Paul

Thanks for the photos of the star charts estwing,  i have a good laminated one centred around m86 but not the wider field.

If i get chance tomorrow then ill hopefully be able to print some off.

With a dark sky im hoping to get a decent haul but by all accounts im going to see much more than my light polluted garden.

Fingers crossed for clear skies.

Cheers

Gosh, you'll see 100s with a big scope under dark skies.  It is easier to galaxy hop than star hop!  I used my cheapo Celestron zoom when exploring this area to aid star hopping and then zoom in for details.  If your horizon allows then the Antenna galaxies NGC 4038/9 are a lovely V shape of 2 colliding galaxies and here's another challenge:

I think, but more I hope, the skies will be clear for you up there.
I'm not far from Kielder and the latest forecasts are promising.
You may get skies good enough to help you search out the clusters.
Good Luck, and don't forget the warm layers of clothing :icon_biggrin:.
Ron.

Ahh yes the m87 jet .... i have to try to search that one out. I remember reading about this in a copy of astronomy magazine years ago but as a kid i never had any chance to visually observe this.

Does anyone have any links to some good charts of this specific region . As ive said i have a good one around m86 but it only covers 10 degrees or so.

Cheers

Archived