Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great Value Despite the Expense

mikeDnight

1 hour ago, xtreemchaos said:

All this talk about them going up in price is making my finger itchy, don't fancy my chances today with me getting a Quark last week, but I'm mighty thinking about pressing the button and sorting it with the misses at a later date :evil4: charl. ps I think ill have to have a lie down until it passes.

Best to keep her in the link I think! Remember that its the female that is often the most venomous, or that actually carries out the killing. :unsure:

Back in the days of the good old telescope brochure, I would sit and brows night after night while my wife watched her mind numbing tv programmes. I'd give the occasional deep sigh and change position in my chair as if I was uncomfortable, or as if I was troubled by what I was reading. It might have taken a few days and nights but eventually shed have to ask what I was after. She knew what was coming but wanted to make me suffer a little beforehand. 

I would explain, convincingly I thought, that "this particular telescope" would definitely be the last one I'll ever need. That its "everything I've ever wanted or would ever want!" She always succumbed to my little boy lost demeanour, eventually, and I'd end up with the scope i wanted. :biggrin:

Today I'm limited to browsing a tablet screen, but I usually make sure she can see the screen, so she knows what's coming!

I miss those brochures!! ?

I still have a few old ones lying around from my past successes which I like to glance over from time to time. :icon_compress: Of course I'd hate to be responsible for putting any wrong ideas into anyone's mind! :evil4:

Mike

2017-03-22 15.38.03.jpg

2017-03-22 15.38.56.jpg

2017-03-22 15.39.55.jpg

2017-03-22 15.41.02.jpg

2017-03-22 15.41.31.jpg

2017-03-22 15.42.16.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good reasoning there mike, ive already done the old " well you had £x for a new car last year darling" so them tips maywell come in handy . great brochures, I had a lend of a 128 must of been getting on 15 years ago, and I said to myself then I'm going to own a tak one day, once you have use one you never forget it.  thanks ,charl.

11 hours ago, John said:

Happy 2nd anniversary Tak ! :icon_biggrin:

I agree with you 100% about the value for money of equipment today compared to what it was. I still have price lists and brochures from the late 1980's and 1990's (coz I'm sad like that :rolleyes2:) and the prices were, relative to wages etc back then, much higher than they are today.

A Meade ED 102 F/7 in 1990 would cost as much as I bought my Tak FC 100 DL for 27 years later. And I know which one I'd prefer ...... :icon_biggrin:

I supose you ignored inflation. From 1990 to 2017 the inflation was 211%. So for the same price you could have bought 2 taks and eyepieces.

In 2003 a Takahashi FS102 tube assembly was in the region of £1,750.00. Twelve years later I bought my Takahashi FC100DC tube assembly for £1,738.00. In 2003 £1,750.00 would buy you a lot more than it would in 2015.  If I've missed out on a free Tak tube assembly I'd feel cheated. I could have built a pair of the world's finest 100mm binoculars! :happy6:

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I miss those brochures!! ?

Thanks for posting the brochures Mike.

I must say Takahashi did far better with their brochures than with the instruction booklets supplied with their scopes. Most seem to be merely B&W photocopies on normal paper, rather than nice glossy renditions. However, I'd rather they put the money into the scopes themselves :-)

Jeremy

5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Just a little while longer Jeremy and Takahashi will be paying you for buying a scope from them! :icon_bounce:£££

Nice thought Mike :icon_biggrin:

I also figured I'd need to add, say, another penny to the 22p a day to account for the expensive Tak adapaters I've had to buy over the years :happy7:

Jeremy

48 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks for posting the brochures Mike.

I must say Takahashi did far better with their brochures than with the instruction booklets supplied with their scopes. Most seem to be merely B&W photocopies on normal paper, rather than nice glossy renditions. However, I'd rather they put the money into the scopes themselves :-)

Jeremy

Yes, the brochures were nice,  while their instruction manuals are utilitarian at best. They are a source of amusement though, as Taks mastery of written English reminds me of a Benny Hill character from the 70's. I have nothing but praise for their optics though, and also for their unwillingness to change their classic look. Many other top brands, as good as they may be, just blend into the crowd but a Takahashi stands out, even before you look through it. I also like that they don't blow a trumpet ahead of them. They just let their scopes and their loyal customers do the job for them.

Mike

Honestly, do people seriously break down the initial overall cost of gear down to a daily cost?. Thats just weird.

My always on,no limits uuber fast fibre optic broadband service costs me 1 euro a day. My HDTV digital subscription also costs me 1 euro a day. My landline phone with free national calls and free international call from 6pm Fri-6am Monday, costs me........you guessed it!!!!!!!!..........1 euro a day.

My astro gear is money down the toilet. 

Hahaha!!!!!!!. Ive just broke down the cost of my 8SE (about 1850 euros). Ive owned it for 5 yrs. Thats a daily cost of...................1 euro a day.

365x5=1825=1 euro a day (give or take).

Weird.

Just now, mikeDnight said:

Here's my English version Jeremy. You may now be able to mount a finder after all these years

Ah, so the finder goes that way round, Mike. I wondered why everything looked so tiny through it!

Jeremy

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Honestly, do people seriously break down the initial overall cost of gear down to a daily cost?. Thats just weird.

My always on,no limits uuber fast fibre optic broadband service costs me 1 euro a day. My HDTV digital subscription also costs me 1 euro a day. My landline phone with free national calls and free international call from 6pm Fri-6am Monday, costs me........you guessed it!!!!!!!!..........1 euro a day.

My astro gear is money down the toilet. 

Hahaha!!!!!!!. Ive just broke down the cost of my 8SE (about 1850 euros). Ive owned it for 5 yrs. Thats a daily cost of...................1 euro a day.

365x5=1825=1 euro a day (give or take).

Weird.

Looks like people do!

I think you have described what is to me an important factor - It has to be fun and enjoyable. Too much talk seems to be of the biggest aperture and greatest magnification and not the sheer simple enjoyment.

23 minutes ago, ronin said:

I think you have described what is to me an important factor - It has to be fun and enjoyable. Too much talk seems to be of the biggest aperture and greatest magnification and not the sheer simple enjoyment.

Certain astro forums are all about the size of your scope and not about the fun. I think you know the one i mean.

SGL is all about the fun/hobby/lifestyle no matter what gear you use.

Bigger aint always better.

The shared experience/knowledge here on SGL about astronomy would fill several hundred volumes of an encyclopedia.

P.S.~size doesnt matter. We are all in the same boat. Its all about how you use what you have.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Certain astro forums are all about the size of your scope and not about the fun. I think you know the one i mean.

SGL is all about the fun/hobby/lifestyle no matter what gear you use.

Bigger aint always better.

The shared experience/knowledge here on SGL about astronomy would fill several hundred volumes of an encyclopedia.

P.S.~size doesnt matter. We are all in the same boat. Its all about how you use what you have.

You're talking about your astro gear right Paul? Sorry!! :)

Now then, lets see if I can save 3 quid a day for 2 years and buy myself a Tak, you never know I might end up joining the club in 2019.

I love that you're still enjoying the Tak though 2 years on Mike, this thread did bring a massive smile to my face.

Archived